USA Today Sports

Rams prepared second day of 2017 NFL Draft

Los Angeles is confident in their plan ahead for the second day of the NFL Draft and beyond.

With the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft come and gone without any movement from the Los Angeles Rams to get in the mix, the organization appears ready to focus in on the next several rounds. 

“I think early in the round, I was like a fan, didn’t really know who was going to go where," general manager Les Snead said. "But I think, towards the end there, you realize, ‘Okay, we’re getting closer.’ And at that point, I know you all will ask, ‘What’s the next step?’ And I think the next step is we’re five picks away, so we have got to have five players that we would take and then, from there, you decide whether you go up and get one of the five, or you take one, or you move back from there and grab another pick. So, I think that’s going to be the strategy from his point forward.”

The Rams' first selection in the draft will be the 37th overall pick in the second round putting them fifth on the clock once it all resumes at 7 p.m. ET on Friday night. This has provided the front office and coaching staff with more than enough leeway to further assess what direction the team will take with their selections moving forward be it moving down a few slots or picking from their designated spots in the draft order. 

“The way we would do it is – and when we say five players, heck, ‘scenario A’ would be – let’s just call it ‘scenario one,’ that’ll be our favorite player," Snead said. "If he’s there, you take him. And then, it goes down from there. Let’s just say that player gets taken at (No.) 33, then we got to move to ‘scenario two, three, four, and five.’ I do think trading up and trading back also becomes a scenario. That’s what tonight and tomorrow morning, and pretty much all day we’ll try to figure out that.”

At the same time, Snead did reveal that the player they are targeting for their second-round pick is still available on the board heading into the second day. 

“Oh, to be honest, yes. He’s still there," Snead said. "That’s part of trying to handicap who will be gone in the first (round). We weren’t playing fantasy football and had a certain player up there that wasn’t going to be there.”

Much of the early speculation is that the Rams will decide to add pieces to the offensive side of the ball with their second-round pick emphasizing on the wide receiver group with possible players such as USC's JuJu Smith-Schuster, East Carolina's Zay Jones, or Oklahoma's Dede Westbrook. In fact, Smith-Schuster did reveal last week that Los Angeles was one of the teams most interested in his services. 

That said, Sean McVay, who is in his first NFL Draft experience as a head coach, is quite confident that Snead and the rest of the front office are prepared for whatever lies ahead in the coming days. 

“That’s the thing that’s unique about this experience is kind of having all of those contingency plans in place, which they’ve done a great job with," McVay said. "You’re sitting there at (No.) 30 before that pick is even made. He’s got his top-eight listed in order of priority. So, you can appreciate the plans, and we’re all on the same page. We know, no matter what happens, how those next picks lay out. Once we get to (No.) 37, we’re going to get a great football player that we feel good about.”

Bob Garcia IV is a staff writer of LARamsReport.com. You can follow him at @bgarcia90 and us on Twitter at @LA_RamsReport.


LA Rams Report Top Stories