Here's the latest from Redskins Park. Head coach Jay Gruden and defensive coordinator Joe Barry met with media members Thursday.
* Starting with the injury report...Nose tackle Terrance Knighton was a "limited" participant in Thursday's practice after sitting out Wednesday with sore ribs. At this point he is expected to face the St. Louis Rams in Sunday's Week 2 matchup at FedEx Field. Justin Rogers (foot) and Martrell Spaight (concussion) remained out while offensive tackle Tom Compton (calf) was limited.
* Gruden ticked off names of several other players limited in practice Thursday. The one that stood most, tight end Jordan Reed. This time the oft-injured Reed is dealing with a "tweaked quad. The coach deemed the situation minor. That might be the case, but no such status really exists in the minds of those outside the Park considering how often Reed missed games during his career. Considering his pass catching skills and the depth chart uncertainty behind him, Reed is one of the five most indispensable players on the roster. He scored Washington's lone touchdown in the 17-10 loss to the Dolphins and finished with seven receptions for 63 yards. Fantasy football owners can consider Reed only a borderline starter this week because of the matchup and injury fear.
Derek Carrier, acquired, during preseason, is the No. 2 TE. Gruden said Anthony McCoy, who joined the team after the final preseason game, has picked up the playbook and could be active Sunday if needed.
* DeAngelo Hall (rib), Kory Lichtensteiger, Trent Williams and Jackson Jeffcoat were full participants. Jeffcoat missed Sunday's loss to Miami with a strained hamstring.
* Both coaches addressed questions about the constant changes in the defensive secondary due to injuries and suspensions throughout the summer and into the season. Strong safety Duke Ihenacho (wrist surgery) is out for the season and top corner Chris Culliver (suspension) is out for Week 2. It's not easy. You'd like to have some cohesion back there, but unfortunately with injuries and little suspensions, it's been hard," Gruden said. The head coach said newly added corner Will Blackmon is "going to play some (Sunday) no question about it. How much, I don't know yet."
* The Redskins added Houston Bates from the practice squad last week with Jeffcoat out. Gruden said a similar move could take place with the inside linebackers if Spaight cannot go, meaning Terrance Plummer would join the roster from the practice squad.
* As for the backup QB, Gruden hesitated before saying no decision would be made until later in the week. Colt McCoy served as the No. 2 behind Kirk Cousins against Miami. Robert Griffin III was not active for the game.