Wow, a road win. It’s the first since October 27th, 2014. It took only 412 days. Just an entire year, 1 month and 16 days for it to happen, that’s all.
Do you know how long ago that was?
1. Donald Trump was still running his reality game show, The Apprentice, now the guy is weirdly running for president of the United States.
2. Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning still looked like Peyton Manning. At the time of the last Redskins road win, he had 22 touchdowns and just three interceptions. Now he's just the guy from the Papa John's commercials that leads the NFL in interceptions.
3. Bills running back LeSean McCoy was on the Philadelphia Eagles and he didn’t think Chip Kelly was ‘racist,’ or at least he didn’t mention that publicly.
That's how long the drought has been. Now it's time for them to move on to end another drought this Sunday; the drought of winning consecutive games.
You know how long it’s been for that? Just another 412 days when they beat the Tennessee Titans and the Dallas Cowboys in consecutive weeks. No need to remind you how long ago that was because you already know.
The last time these two teams played was in 2011, the year before Kirk Cousins was drafted. The Bills shut out the Redskins 23-0 in Toronto. Redskins legend John Beck was the starting quarterback. He’s a legend because he was sacked 10 times. The team had more sack yards (56) than rushing yards (26).
The scary thing is that the Redskins are more than capable of rushing for just 26 yards again given the way they have run the ball this season, especially against a Rex Ryan led team that prides itself on defense and physicality.
But the Redskins have already embarrassed a team coached by a Ryan at FedEx Field this season. Former New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and his defense allowed 40 points from the Redskins offense back in November. It was so bad the Saints fired him the following day.
Now his brother Rex is coming to FedEx Field to avenge his brother’s firing. Ok maybe not, but it sounds cool and that should be definitely be a movie plot.
Anyway, here are some stats that probably don't matter, but could be used to distract your significant other during an argument:
- The Bills lead the all-time series 8-5.
- The Redskins haven’t beaten the Bills since Super Bowl XXVI. Since then, the Bills have won six meetings in a row.
- The Redskins shutout against the Bills was only one of two shutouts for the team in the past five seasons.
- Cousins has only thrown two interceptions at home this season. The lowest of any quarterback that has started every game for their respective team.
- LeSean McCoy has only rushed for more than 100 yards twice against the Redskins in 11 total games.
Looking around the division, the New York Giants play the undefeated Carolina Panthers and we know how the Giants like to play against undefeated teams under Eli Manning so they could come away with a win. The Eagles host the Arizona Cardinals, which looks like a guaranteed loss for the birds from Philly. And the Dallas Cowboys are probably no longer a factor, but they play the New York Jets and Matt Cassel is still the starter so we know what will happen there.
I don't know what will really happen, but I can tell you that LeSean McCoy shouldn't have a problem shaking Jay Gruden's hand after the game.
I don't know what will really happen, but I can tell you that Rex Ryan won’t be getting fired after this game regardless of the outcome.
I don’t know what will really happen, but I can tell you that the Redskins aren’t getting shutout on Sunday and I’m willing to bet all of my Christmas cards if they do.
It’s the final home game of the season and the Redskins have the chance to go 6-2 at FedEx Field. Expect the Redskins to look like an actual professional team this Sunday at home to make up for their previous home performance.
Talib Babb is a freelancer for CSNmidatlantic.com, producer for 106.7 The Fan, stand-up comic and Maryland native. You can find him on Twitter @talibbabb.
To get instant Redskins notifications, download the NEW Scout mobile app for iOS HERE!
Be sure to check out the ever-growing benefit package of being a Breaking Burgundy Insider! Check it out HERE.