On Monday the Redskins started shedding unwanted players, then Wednesday they brought back those they wanted to stay. Thursday, a full 24 hours into the 2016 NFL season, the Redskins remained quiet while the rest of the league spent all kinds of funny money. However, rumors involving the Burgundy and Gold popped up...
Keenan Robinson couldn't work his way back into Washington's starting lineup last season, but it didn't take him long to find a new home. It's a familiar one at that as the athletic linebacker signed with NFC East rival New York Giants.
The deal is for one-year, according to the Washington Post, which makes sense for all involved. New York needs linebacker help this season and Robinson, considered a rising star on the Redskins defense after the 2014 season, gets a chance at rehabbing his declining value after a disappointing 2015 campaign.
It was clear that Robinson was not returning with Washington retaining Will Compton and Mason Foster at inside linebacker. The truth is he struggled against the run last season and the overall defense improved in this area with Compton and Foster.
As a reminder, Washington selected Robinson in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Now that he's gone, only player from that class remains: Kirk Cousins. We'll see if this move comes back to haunt them and if so, do they come in those two head-to-head games next season.
- Midday came a report that OLB Andre Branch was headed to Washington for a visit at Redskins Park Friday. Branch is an athletic, young player with long arms coming off of disappointing season with four Jaguars for the Jaguars. Breaking Burgundy spoke with Scout's Jaguars Insider for the details on Branch, including whether he fits in the 3-4 or 4-3.
- Early this morning it was reported that Washington has interest in former Bengals free safety Reggie Nelson. Although turning 32 before the start of the regular season, the Redskins could use last-year's leader in interceptions (8) to provide depth to an inexperienced safety core. Here is the full insider scoop on the ten-year veteran.
- Wait, the Redskins are looking at a tight end? Apparently yes and that TE is Vernon Davis, who was set to visit the Redskins. Davis' production has been going downhill lately but Scot McCloughan does have a 49ers connection to the DC area native and former University of Maryland standout. It's hard seeing the Redskins paying out money to another tight end when they have three capable players already at the position, but Niles Paul and Derek Carrier are coming off season-ending injuries.
- In today's Robert Griffin III update, the ex-Redskin quarterback reportedly has interest in joining the Rams. Griffin is somewhat in a holding pattern until we learn the fate of 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick.
- The Patriots want a look at a certain off-and-on Redskin lineman
Follow Neil on Twitter @NeilDalal96.
To get instant Redskins notifications, download the NEW Scout mobile app for iOS HERE!
Be sure to check out the ever-growing benefit package of being a Breaking Burgundy Insider! Check it out HERE.