The longer the Redskins go without adding another running back, the better the odds get that a familiar name could return. That name, Pierre Thomas.
Washington added the veteran pass catching threat late in the 2015 season and Thomas contributed immediately. Less than 24 hours after Alfred Morris signed with the Cowboys, Redskins coach Jay Gruden was asked Wednesday morning at the NFL owners meetings about the status with Thomas.
“Yeah, there’s still some options out there. I think Pierre is one of them," Gruden said. "He did such a good job when he came in last year on short notice."
Thomas, 31, averaged 4.7 yards on 11 carries and caught nine passes in four games with Washington. The bulk of that production came in the NFC East-clinching win in Week 16 over the Eagles as he caught seven passes for 67 yards.
Power back Matt Jones and third-down threat Chris Thompson are the current running backs. Jones projects as a lead back one day, but that day might not be Week 1 of the 2016 season considering the fumble and injury concerns that cropped up during his rookie season.
That's why the sense is Washington would like to add someone who can carry the running load as needed.
That's probably not Thomas at this point in his career. However, the ex-Saint showed he can still be rather effective in other roles when needed. He did so on the fly.
"It’d be nice to have him from the beginning of OTAs and training camp," Gruden said of Thomas. "So he’s definitely on our board. We’re keeping a close eye on him. Obviously we have the draft coming up, some good options there in the draft. So we’ll address the running back position again at some point.”
To get instant Redskins notifications, download the NEW Scout mobile app for iOS HERE!
Be sure to check out the ever-growing benefit package of being a Breaking Burgundy Insider! Check it out HERE.null