The news and notes from Friday's day of practice at Redskins training camp including thoughts on what Jay Gruden had to say.
* Injury news hurts the 2016 rookie class as inside linebacker Steven Daniels, one of Washington's two seventh round picks, suffered a season-ending torn labrum. Gruden confirmed the injury and said it appears the LB will undergo surgery. As for whether the team would re-sign Daniels should he clear waivers, Gruden said, "Likely, yes. That’s Scot’s [General Manager Scot McCloughan’s] deal.”
The ILB roster battle is among the most interesting on the team and likely Daniels was on the outside looking in. But, the Redskins had high hopes for the big hitter. Those hopes must wait until 2017 assuming another team doesn't claim the former Boston College standout.
Gruden said he hopes Crowder and Williams are back Sunday.
* Running back Matt Jones returned after sitting out Thursday's session to rest his knee.
* The lone practice session primarily featured reserves -- and the defense won the day, picking off rookie quarterback Nate Sudfeld three times. Gruden: "It was good. It was team effort by the defense. They had a great pass rusher, number one, which made Sudfeld a little uncomfortable and they had good coverage to boot.
* Gruden explained the ample amount of mixing and matching taking place with the personnel in practice is due in part to getting ready for the preseason opener at Atlanta on August 11. There will be a depth chart released in the coming days, but the coach admitted that's more or the media and public than anything else.
Breaking Burgundy asked Gruden earlier in the week when he starts thinking about the Week 1 depth chart. The answer mirrors Friday's response.
“I don’t really, not really. We have to have a first-team and a second-team out here for practice purposes but we try to sub them in and out and get guys equal reps. I do a really good job of keeping track of everybody’s reps to make sure guys are getting equal reps and that the competition is there, but I don’t really worry about the depth chart until probably about the third preseason game.”?
* The Redskins are off Saturday and will resume Sunday at 1 p.m. in Richmond. Breaking Burgundy will be on the scene for updates.