1. Clinton Portis will have a big year. The extra work in the offseason (thank the incentive clauses) and fresh legs will equate into a season in which Portis rushes for at least 1,500 yards and we'll hear about how much more serious he is about the game. Not sure that's completely true, but it'll be a good storyline.
2. Andre Carter will have more sacks than Jason Taylor. The latter is a better player. Period. But here's why I think this: Taylor is widely considered a slow starter, which certainly won't help him have more than Carter. Also, he'll be playing more on the traditional run side, which means the potential for getting worn down is much greater. There's also the knee. And the plantar fasciitis. Taylor might still cause more havoc, but the stats will go to Carter.
3. Two Redskins will make the Pro Bowl. Chris Samuels and Chris Cooley will be the only Redskins to play in Hawaii, though Portis will get strong consideration and maybe be an alternate. I would have said LaRon Landry, but I want to make sure he's healthy first. Haven't seen enough evidence to suggest that this won't be a lingering issue. If it's not, he'll be dynamite.
4. Jon Jansen will play guard at some point this season. I don't have faith that Randy Thomas and Pete Kendall can make it through unscathed at this point. I will say, Kendall's been much better than I thought as far as not sitting out practices. Jansen could use a few weeks at guard to get used to the footwork, working on the left side and adapting to playing defenders in tight quarters.
5. The Redskins will miss the playoffs. After the first three preseason games, I thought they might be able to make the postseason. Things were going very well; it's a very good hardworking group and it would be a fantastic story with Jim Zorn the quirky new coach guiding them. But this isn't Hollywood. I see too many issues: aging line, aging defense, lack of depth in key areas, a new coach and an unproven QB over 16 games. That adds up to 7-9.
John Keim covers the Redskins for the Washington Examiner and is a contributing editor for Warpathinsiders.com. He has covered the team since 1994. Some of his other stories can be found at dcexaminer.com
Talk about this, or any premium story, right here.
Breaking Burgundy Top Stories
Redskins Defense Caves Late In 31-23 LossQuick postgame thoughts from Ben Standig on the Redskins second straight loss, one that puts them on the outside of the NFC playoffs.
Breaking Burgundy5:11 PM
Worst Free Agent Signings Under McCloughanOn the day David Bruton is released, Ben Standig ranks the worst signings since Scot McCloughan took over the front office.
Breaking BurgundyFriday at 3:04 PM
Source: Redskins Promote CB PhillipsThe Redskins are returning CB Dashaun Phillips to the active roster, which could indicate the need for more options against the Cardinals.
Breaking BurgundyFriday at 12:37 PM
Three Reasons Redskins Can Beat the CardinalsEven without Trent Williams and likely Jordan Reed, even with another road game, there are reasons to think the Redskins win Sunday in Arizona. We offer three.
Breaking BurgundyFriday at 6:29 AM