1. The Redskins should not ask Chris Cooley to block ends or linebackers, especially if he has to move to do it. Cooley whiffs too often, as he did on a few occasions vs. New York. It also hurt that New York's backers and ends read plays quickly, allowing them to get inside Cooley rather fast.
2. I'll be curious to see how Stephon Heyer progresses. He did OK, but made enough mental mistakes to make you wonder. There were a couple times he allowed backside pressure on runs because of it; after one such time Randy Thomas turned to him and raised his arms as if to say, "What are you doing?"
3. Santana Moss is one of my favorites, an honest guy and a hard worker. But his route-running was one thing Al Saunders complained about during his two years here. And I wonder if that's not an issue with Jim Zorn. The big plays he made in his first season here came more on athleticism and toughness than on the way he ran his routes. In this offense, and in Saunders, precision is more necessary.
4. Zorn must learn to adjust more quickly. Can he? During the preseason he was slow to adjust during some games with protection schemes (see: Carolina) and it cost them. He also didn't recognize during the opener that the Redskins were playing too slow in the fourth quarter. It's part of the learning curve of a first-year coach, but, then again, shouldn't someone – a more experienced coach – tell him this during the game?
5. There's no way Jason Taylor becomes an anchor on the left side of the line. Just heard today that at times in Miami he weighed around 240 pounds near the end of the season. 240! You can't survive as a three-down end in the NFC East playing at that weight.
John Keim covers the Redskins for the Washington Examiner and is a contributing editor for Warpathinsiders.com. He has covered the team since 1994. Some of his other stories can be found at dcexaminer.com
Talk about this, or any premium story, right here.
Nickel Package: 5 Current Redskins Topics
Breaking Burgundy Top Stories
Williams Returns; Redskins Injuries Run DeepBusy day at Redskins Park headlined by the return of Washington Pro Bowl tackle and a lengthy injury report.
Breaking BurgundyWednesday at 11:27 AM
Upon Further Review: The Manny Benton ShowThe Manny Benton Show gives a second-look review of the Redskins loss to the Arizona Cardinals.
Breaking BurgundyTuesday at 10:01 PM
The Redskins' Lucky Number Is 7This isn't about Joe Theismann, but the Redskins aiming for a second straight playoff birth.
Breaking BurgundyMonday at 10:47 PM
Snap Judgments: Redskins-CardinalsWashington has a new lead dog at safety, at least for one week.
Breaking BurgundyMonday at 7:12 AM