1. It was wet. A steady rain fell Sunday morning, causing the Redskins to shorten practice by approximately 15 minutes. They eliminated some one-on-one drills, but nothing of substance was cut.
2. Jason Campbell had a good weekend. Not that we're surprised. Campbell is entering his fifth season and is in Jim Zorn's offense for a second season. All of that helped him look sharp on his throws. Can't say this is some sort of foreshadowing for his season, but we do know that in early May he looked as he should.
3. Kevin Barnes is skinny. He weighs just 188 pounds and stands 6-foot-1. DeAngelo Hall called him rail thin; there's no doubt the kid could use a couple burgers. But Barnes showed his quickness on breaks to the ball.
4. Dropsies. Veteran receiver Kelley Washington dropped at least two passes this morning. Certainly a slick ball didn't help, but that's still not a good way for an unsigned vet to earn a contract.
5. Colt Brennan is improving. He made a nice throw rolling to his left and hitting tight end Fred Davis on a deep out. Davis actually made a couple nice downfield catches. He looked really good in practices at times last year, but would often have a drop or two. Did not see him have any this weekend. And he showed up for the last day of camp, something he did not do last spring.
6. Chad Rinehart needs to improve. He worked a lot at right guard today as the Redskins continue to see what they can get out of him. There's still doubt that he'll ever be more than a backup, a bad thing for someone drafted in the third round. But with Randy Thomas' health status the past few years, the Redskins need to develop depth at this spot.
7. No more good old days. Back in the Jack Kent Cooke era, the final day of minicamp was celebrated with a family picnic. Cooke would spring for a barbecue for all the players, coaches and even the media and their families. Been a while since the Redskins did anything like that. But those days, for whatever reason, seem long gone. They are missed. It also used to be that during the OTAs, very few reporters – maybe two and no more than three – would show up to watch. They also used to serve food after those (Yes, I'm hungry as I type this column); very good brats, sausages and steaks. Very casual times; I remember talking once to Jeff George for 10 minutes about Little League baseball during one of these sessions (he was not working out for some reason).
8. LaRon Landry looks bigger. Hard to believe because he has one of the most cut bodies on the team, but his arms seem even more impressive than last year. Not sure what this means.
9. Chase Daniel has no shot. Daniel might be a practice squad guy, but the Redskins like their first three quarterbacks. Daniel is training camp fodder and has a very long ways to go to become an NFL-caliber QB. He threw a decent ball, but that's about it.
10. Mike Sellers is in shape. Considering he has not been at the facility, upset over his contract, that was a good sight for the coaches. Sellers was very quiet this weekend and did not want to speak to reporters. Sellers is obviously a key part of the ground game and the Redskins lack any real alternative to him. Though Eddie Williams is a down-the-road possibility, his time won't be now. Has too much to learn. Besides, Sellers is a taut 280 – 31 pounds bigger than Williams.
John Keim covers the Redskins for the Washington Examiner and is a contributing editor for Warpathinsiders.com. He has covered the team since 1994. Some of his other stories can be found at dcexaminer.com
Talk about this, or any premium story, right here.
Third and Ten: Redskins Minicamp Day 3
Breaking Burgundy Top Stories
Top Redskins Heading Into Make Or Break 2017Contract years are big time motivators.
Breaking BurgundyYesterday at 5:00 AM
'91 Redskins Crowned Best Team EverThe Washington Redskins have not won a Super Bowl in nearly 30 years, but their legendary teams of the past have been brought up in this discussion; Who is the best team to ever…
Breaking BurgundyYesterday at 12:45 AM
What Does Carr's Contract Mean For Cousins?The price for Washington to keep Cousins might be going up.
Breaking BurgundyThursday at 7:51 AM
Morning Manny: Quarterback Position ReviewManny Benton reviews the Redskins Quarterback position prior to training camp.
Breaking BurgundyWednesday at 5:00 AM
Could Nate Sudfeld Be The 2018 Redskins QB?One man in the front office had high praise for the sophomore passer.
Breaking BurgundyTuesday at 5:00 AM