What don't you know about Tracy Porter? Check this out:
1. He has some versatility. One of the nation's top playmaking defensive backs, Porter became the first player in school history to return a punt, interception and fumble for touchdowns in his career.
2. He knows what to do with it when he picks the ball off. As a senior, Porter became the first Hoosier since Mark Sutor in 1982 to record six or more interceptions in a season. He would close out his career with 16 interceptions, three short of the school record of 19 by Tim Wilbur (1978-82). Ever the opportunist, he amassed 413 yards on those interception returns, breaking the previous Indiana record of 360 yards by Wilbur. He also became just the third player in Big Ten Conference history to gain over 400 yards on interception returns, joining Jamar Fletcher of Wisconsin (459, 1998-2000) and Tom Curtis of Michigan (431, 1967-69).
3. Porter was a two-sport star. Porter only played two years of high school football. He really starred for the basketball team at Port Allen (La.) High School.
4. Tracy Porter on he and the program's progress at Indiana: "My freshman year, there wasn't a real winning attitude at the school. My sophomore year is when Coach (Terry) Hoeppner and his staff came in and turned the program around. We won more games each year we were there. My freshman year we won three, then four, then five. This year we won seven and went Bowling. I definitely think we improved as a team and I got better as an individual."
5. Porter surprised some pundits. He was the first Hoosier taken in this draft. Wide receiver James Hardy was selected right after him.
6. The draft may not be the only thing on his mind. Porter is taking 18 credit hours this semester and is scheduled to graduate from Indiana on May 3.
7. Porter on graduating:
"Getting your named called on draft day, that's great. But knowing you graduated from college, knowing you were the last one in the family to graduate and finish it off is just as rewarding. I have an older brother and older sister who both graduated, and it's only fitting that I finish it off and graduate as well. It's going to be a tremendous honor."
Want to know more about Porter? Take advantage of Scout.com's extensive body of work covering Porter at Indiana and during the scouting period. Here are links that will help you get to know Porter better:
Instant Analysis of Porter by Scout.com's Tom Marino, a 35-year veteran of NFL scouting. Click here.
Porter's scouting combine Q&A session with the media. Click here.
HIS DAYS AT INDIANA
Porter talks about his final days in college at Indiana. Click here.
John Decker files this report from Porter's Pro Day. Click here.
Porter talks about the 2007 season opener at IU, which honored the late coach, Terry Hoeppner. Click here.
Take advantage of our exclusive subscriber offer. New subscribers to Saintsinsider.com can get three months for the price of one through Monday night. Sign up for a one-month subscription and get the next two months for free. You'll get Saints news from the Draft to Training Camp every day! Click here to go to our subscription page and take advantage of this offer.
Matthew Postins is the publisher of saintsinsider.com. He is a member of the Pro Football Writers Association.