To comply with the NFL’s mandated cut-down to 53 Saturday, the Seahawks released players and announced the team’s “final” roster.
Keep this caveat in mind, though. There is no telling how many new roster moves the always-searching Seahawks will make with nearly 700 different players throughout the league soon to be available on the waiver wire. The Seahawks have reportedly explored trade options for holdout safety Kam Chancellor and backup running back Christine Michael and did reportedly complete a trade Saturday with the Kansas City Chiefs, acquiring veteran safety Kelcie McCray.
This comes on the heels of Seattle reportedly agreeing to a deal with veteran running back Fred Jackson, who isn't yet on Seattle's roster.
If there was a surprise among Seattle's cuts it would likely have to be veteran cornerback Will Blackmon, who seemed to be Seattle's best nickel back throughout camp and the preseason. Perhaps the greatest constant throughout the Pete Carroll and John Schneider era, however, has been the team's unrelenting willingness to go with younger players, in this case rookie Tye Smith, who saw action inside at nickel and outside during camp and in the preseason games. Otherwise, Seattle's cuts went about as projected.
Three players who are listed below but don’t count on the 53 for now are Chancellor and injured veterans Paul Richardson and Jeremy Lane.
Seahawks Announced 'Final' Roster
(2) Quarterbacks: Russell Wilson, Tarvaris Jackson
Released: R.J. Archer
(5) Running Backs: Marshawn Lynch, Christine Michael, Thomas Rawls, Derrick Coleman (fullback), Will Tukuafu (fullback)
Released: Robert Turbin (injury) Rod Smith
(3) Tight Ends: Jimmy Graham, Luke Willson, Cooper Helfet
Released: Anthony McCoy, Rashaun Allen
(6) Wide Receivers: Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Tyler Lockett, Chris Matthews, Ricardo Lockette, B.J. Daniels. (Paul Richardson to be placed on PUP List)
Released: Kevin Smith, Kasen Williams
(9) Offensive Line: Russell Okung, Justin Britt, Drew Nowak, J.R. Sweezy, Garry Gilliam, Alvin Bailey, Patrick Lewis, Mark Glowinski, Kristjan Sokoli
Released: KeaVon Milton, Terry Poole, Will Pericak
(1) K: Steven Haushka
(1) P: Jon Ryan
(1) LS: Clint Gresham
(4) Defensive End: Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Frank Clark, Cassius Marsh
Released: Obum Gwachum
(5) Defensive Tackle: Brandon Mebane, Ahtyba Rubin, Jordan Hill, David King, Demarcus Dobbs
Released: T.Y. McGill, Jesse Williams, Julius Warmsley
(2) Middle Linebacker: Bobby Wagner, Brock Coyle
Released: Alex Singleton
(4) Outside Linebacker: K.J. Wright, Bruce Irvin, Kevin Pierre-Louis, Mike Morgan
Released: Eric Pinkins, Tyrell Adams
(5) Cornerback: Richard Sherman, Cary Williams, Tharold Simon, Tye Smith, Marcus Burley (Jeremy Lane on PUP List)
Released: Mohammed Seisay (placed on IR), Marcus Burley, Douglas McNeil III
(5) Safety: Earl Thomas, Dion Bailey, Deshawn Shead, Steven Terrell, Kelcie McCray (acquired via trade with Kansas City on Saturday). (Kam Chancellor on Did Not Report list)
Released: Steven Terrell, Ryan Murphy, Keenan Lambert