Seahawks win nail-biter over Rams on the road

Who's number one in the west? The answer to that question was given at the Edward Jones Dome today as the Seattle Seahawks got a 54-yard Josh Brown field goal as time expired to outlast the St. Louis Rams 30-28 in a shootout for first place in the NFC West.

Marc Bulger and the legs of RB Steven Jackson.

Bulger drove the Rams 74 yards in nine plays before hitting WR Torry Holt on a nine-yard touchdown pass over Seattle CB Marcus Trufant.

Seattle responded with their own long touchdown drive, as QB Matt Hasselbeck had to rely his receivers almost the entire drive.

He hit on five of seven pass attempts eventually hitting WR Deion Branch with a beautiful pass over rookie CB Tye Hill for a 14-yard touchdown pass and the score was even after two possessions.

That's when the Rams took over.

Jackson scored on a two-yard touchdown plunge after the Rams moved 77 yards on 12 plays.

Seattle's offense then stalled, and Bulger drove St. Louis yet again, hitting Holt with a 10-yard out route in front of Seattle CB Kelly Herndon.

Whatever Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren said at halftime, he should bottle it, because it was a different team that came onto the field in the second-half.

Seattle's defense got after Bulger, sacking him on two straight plays forcing a punt. Then Hasselbeck hit WR Darrell Jackson on a 42-yard touchdown pass between three Rams defenders drawing Seattle within seven at 21-14.

Again the defense hung tight and when Brown hit on a 49-yard field goal, it seemed as if the momentum of the game was shifting to Seattle.

It became even more apparent when Seattle LB D.D. Lewis stripped Kevin Curtis of the ball on the ensuing kickoff and the Seahawks recovered at the St. Louis 22.

Two plays later, Hasselbeck again hit Branch, this time on a 19-yard corner-route, to put Seattle in the lead for the first time at 24-21.

Seattle then added another 49-yard field goal by Brown putting them up 27-21 with a little over six minutes remaining.

Second-year linebacker Lofa Tatupu, who intercepted his first pass last year against the Rams on the road, did it again, stepping in front of Torry Holt and taking the ball all the way back to the St. Louis 19, seemingly putting the final touches on the game.

However, the opportunistic Rams defense was up to the task, causing RB Maurice Morris to fumble on 3rd-and-four at the St. Louis five.

Morris had a good day for the Seahawks, rushing 23 times for 74 yards, but it was his final carry that really tested Holmgren's patience.

Bulger and the Rams then drove the ball to their own 33 when Holt broke free in the Seattle secondary. Bulger threw it deep and Holt out-fought SS Michael Boulware for the ball, juggled it for a moment and then scampered into the endzone for what appeared to be a game-winning 67-yard touchdown pass.

However, there were still 1:44 left on the clock and Hasselbeck, who finished the day 19 of 34 for 268 yards and three touchdowns, wasn't done.

He hit D.J. Hackett for 14 yards, Jackson for 19, Branch for nine, and then got 10 yards on two rushing attempts from Mack Strong to set up the winning field goal.

The entire St. Louis sideline, along with their fans and even the television announcers thought the game was over when Seattle was in an illegal formation with four seconds remaining, but referee Ed Hochuli set the record straight that there is not a 10 second run-off for an illegal formation. Only on an illegal procedure will they run the time off.

As it was, Seattle was moved back five yards allowing Brown to hit the game-winner as time expired.

Seattle now moves to 4-1 and an early lead in the division they won going away last year. They will now head home to face off against the Minnesota Vikings at Qwest Field. Top Stories