Kansas City outlasts Seattle on the road

In the battle of backups, Seattle traveled to Arrowhead Stadium to take on the Kansas City Chiefs in a rekindling of their old AFC West rivalry. Both Seneca Wallace and Damon Huard had big days, but it was the home team that came out on top 35-28 in front of 77,645 raucous fans.

Seattle's defense again struggled stopping the Chiefs forcing only one three-and-out during the game. They also surrendered 312 yards through the air to Huard, including one for a touchdown and a two-point conversion, and 155 yards on the ground and three touchdowns to RB Larry Johnson.

Wallace, for his part, had a better day than expected tossing three touchdowns, along with two interceptions, for 198 yards. He effectively kept the Chiefs defense on their heels by sliding and avoiding pressure and at times using his feet to gain significant chunks of yardage – 18 yards on four rushes.

Seattle's defense was ineffective shutting down Kansas City's offense, but early in the game LB Julian Peterson sacked Huard causing him to fumble and DT Russell Davis recovered the ball at the Chiefs seven. Three plays later, Wallace hit WR D.J. Hackett in the back of the endzone putting Seattle up early 7-3.

Huard and the Chiefs then answered with an eight-play, 74 yard drive as Johnson gashed the Seahawks defense for a 32-yard run and then on second-and-goal from the Seattle three, Johnson took to the air leaping over the line for a three-yard touchdown run.

After Lawrence Tynes added another field goal to put the Chiefs up 13-7, Seattle, on the arm or Wallace drove 71 yards in eight plays capping the drive with a two-yard touchdown pass to TE Jerramy Stevens.

WR Deion Branch turned in the catch of the day when he put a double-move on Chiefs CB Lenny Walls, pirouetted as Wallace through the ball outside and one-handed the ball before going out of bounds at the Kansas City three.

But, as was the theme of the day, Kansas City had an answer.

Huard drove the Chiefs 77 yards in nine plays before hitting Johnson over the middle for a nine-yard scoring pass shortly before time expired in the half.

After Seattle was unable to do anything with their first possession of the second half, Johnson added to his touchdown total by going over from two yards out for another score and the Chiefs appeared to be pulling away from the Seahawks.

Wallace, on Seattle's next possession, threw his first interception of the day when CB Patrick Surtain stepped in front of Darrell Jackson at the Seattle 43.

The defense stiffened and held the Chiefs at their own 19 yard-line, setting up Tynes for seemingly his third field-goal. However, P Dustin Colquitt, who holds on field goals and extra points, fumbled the snap and as he tried to pitch the ball forward, CB Kelly Herndon deflected the ball, picked it up and raced 61 yards for the touchdown bringing Seattle within six at 27-21.

The teams traded punts to begin the fourth quarter and Tynes missed a 50-yard attempt, pushing the ball to the right.

Seattle was able to take advantage when, on first-and-10 at his own 49, Wallace pump-faked to Jackson, who then sprinted past a badly-fooled Ty Law, for a 51-yard touchdown score and quickly Seattle was ahead 28-27 with 6:30 remaining on the clock.

However, Huard and the Chiefs took advantage of Seattle's pourous defense driving the ball all the way to Seattle's three, helped by a 51-yard pass to Eddie Kennison, and then Johnson took the ball over the right side for the go-ahead touchdown, breaking three tackles on his way to the endzone.

Huard then hit TE Tony Gonzalez, a player the Seahawks had no answer for, for the two-point conversion to put the Chiefs up 35-28.

But the big plays weren't done.

With 2:07 left of the clock, Wallace had his pass tipped at the line of scrimmage by DE Tamba Hali and it was caught out of the air by DE Jared Allen who returned the ball to Seattle's 24. However, coming from behind, Branch managed to strip the ball from Allen before both fell out of bounds and a replay challenge by the Seahawks was upheld and Seattle had a new set of downs with 1:58 remaining on the clock.

Wallace then proceeded to hit FB Josh Parry for 11 yards, WR Nate Burleson for 21 yards to the Kansas City 41, but that's where the drive stalled and on fourth-and-15, Wallace inexplicably hit FB Mack Strong in the flat and the 13-year veteran was only able to gain eight handing the ball back to the Chiefs and effectively ending the game.

Seattle now 4-3, returns back home this week for a Monday night game against the struggling Raiders.

SeahawkFootball.com Top Stories