49ers Gore Seahawks

After a big win last week against the St. Louis Rams at home, it was feared that the Seahawks might be in for the dreaded "trap" game as they headed to the Bay Area to take on the surging San Francisco 49ers. Those fears were realized as the Seahawks surrendered a 49ers club-record 212 yards on the ground to RB Frank Gore and lost 20-14 to fall to 6-4 on the season.

The past two weeks, Seattle QB Seneca Wallace had been almost flawless. He'd completed almost 65 percent of his passes, thrown for over 300 yards and three touchdowns, but more importantly, he hadn't been intercepted during those two wins over Oakland and St. Louis. That streak came to an end as Wallace threw for two touchdowns and 236 yards, but was intercepted three times, the third coming on the final drive on the game for Seattle.

Early on it appeared Seattle was disinterested in even playing the game as they allowed Gore to rush for 135 yards in the first half on several huge runs from the second-year back.

Wallace's second interception, a perfectly played pass by CB Walt Harris, resulted in points as 49ers QB Alex Smith, who had a very efficient day, hit Arnaz Battle on a nine-yard touchdown pass capping an easy five-play 40 yard drive.

Smith finished the day with only 163 yards passing and one touchdown, but he didn't throw an interception and he made good decisions when he felt pressure. He also rushed for the 49ers' second touchdown on 2nd-and-goal from Seattle's one early in the second quarter.

Seattle then turned the ball over again as TE Jerramy Stevens coughed up the ball at midfield. It was scooped up by FS Keith Lewis and returned to the Seahawks' 31.

However, Seattle's defense held strong and the 49ers had to settle for K Joe Nedney's second field goal of the half as time ran out.

Early in the second-half, it appeared that Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren's halftime speech had done it's job as Wallace drove Seattle 68 yards in five plays, hitting WR Deion Branch on a 38-yard touchdown pass.

On the play, Branch eluded CB Shawntae Spencer, and outraced the rest of the defense for the score, bringing Seattle within six points at 20-14.

After the teams traded punts, Wallace hit WR Darrell Jackson over backup CB Sammy Davis down the right sideline for a 41-yard score in the back corner of the endzone.

That's when things got a little crazy.

With two minutes remaining in the game and 4th-and-2 from their own 37, Holmgren elected to call on RB Shaun Alexander, playing for the first time in six weeks, to pick up the necessary yardage, but he was stopped short and the Seahawks turned the ball over on downs.

However, on the next play, Gore handed the ball right back to the Seahawks as he was hit by LB Lofa Tatupu and fumbled. DE Grant Wistrom recovered and Seattle appeared to have new life.

That's when Wallace's bad day really caught up with the Seahawks. After a questionable sack on first down, Wallace threw the ball directly to Harris who intercepted the ball and effectively ended the game.

San Francisco is now 5-5 and only a game behind the Seahawks as Seattle comes home and prepares for a Monday night contest against Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers.

SeahawkFootball.com Top Stories