Adjustments? What Adjustments?

The Steelers trailed the Detroit Lions by only seven at halftime, but appeared dead in the water because they couldn't stop the pass ... until the second half.

PITTSBURGH -- If adjustments define coaches, the Steelers' coaching staff can step up and take a bow after preventing a juggernaut of a Detroit Lions offense from scoring a single point in the second half of the Steelers' come-from-behind 37-27 win Sunday.

So let's hear it for the Steelers' coaches, and let's hear what they did at halftime after Lions QB Matthew Stafford set a franchise record with 327 passing yards in the first half.

"Nothing," said Ryan Clark.

No schematic changes?

"Nope, not a one."

How about it, Troy?

"We didn't do anything different," said Troy Polamalu. "We just did our jobs."

"We just talked about what we needed to do," said Will Allen. "We talked about how we need to focus."

Mike Tomlin, the coach who's been under fire from fans and media all season, certainly had reason to gloat and boast and brag. But he didn't.

"It might just have been what they didn't do," said Tomlin.

That's pretty much what Stafford said. "We just didn't execute," said the Detroit QB after an abominable second half.

In the first half, Stafford completed 16 of 30 for 327 and two touchdowns for a passer rating of 114.2.

In the second half, Stafford completed 3 of 16 for 35 and one interception for a passer rating of 13.5.

The Steelers took Calvin Johnson out of the equation to make the difference. Johnson didn't catch a pass in the second half after catching 6 for 179 and two touchdowns in the first half to give the Lions a 27-20 lead at halftime.

The man most responsible for Johnson's big first half, cornerback Ike Taylor, said he never got down on himself.

"Nah, I ain't never down, man. As long as I'm standing vertical I'm always happy," said Taylor, who in the first half dropped two interceptions thrown smack dab into his belly and also missed a tackle on Johnson at the 35-yard line that allowed him to jog into the end zone.

So, Ike, what changed in the second half?

"We just got mentally aggressive," Taylor said. "It became a bar room fight. I'm going to walk into this bar room and whatever it takes I'm fighting everybody in this bar. In the first quarter we had that bar room fight. In the second quarter, (we) went out to take a smoke break. And the whole second half went back to bar fighting."

Did anyone raise the temperature in the locker room at halftime?

"Nah. You get to a point where you're like 'All right, man, enough is enough,"' Taylor said. "That's how we felt overall as a secondary. That's how I felt individually. And that's how we played in the second half."

The Steelers had jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the first quarter, but trailed at halftime 27-20.

A Jason Worilds sack of Stafford at the one-yard line set up a Steelers field goal that began to turn the momentum with 5:14 left in the third.

A fake field goal by the Lions early in the fourth quarter was stopped short by Steve McLendon, and Ben Roethlisberger led the Steelers on a 97-yard touchdown drive to take a 30-27 lead with 4:46 left.

One aspect the Steelers' defensive backs did accomplish in the second half was forcing Stafford to look for other receivers aside from Johnson, and drops by Theo Riddick and Jeremy Ross late in the fourth brought up third-and-10.

That's when the No. 3 safety in the Steelers' quarters package, Will Allen, subbing for injured rookie Shamarko Thomas, read the Detroit formation from a play he had seen on tape, and then he read the quarterback, and then he stepped in front of Johnson for an interception. An ensuing touchdown pass to Jerricho Cotchery clinched the win for the Steelers.

"It just came from within," was how Allen explained the tale of two halves. "We just tried to talk to each other, look at each other in the eye.

"We've played a lot of ball together, man. We've got a lot of experience in the secondary. It's fun playing with these guys, a lot of fun."

Steel City Insider Top Stories