If you think you've seen this before, you have. It's a small repeat of a larger article I wrote earlier in the year.
There are a plethora of great matchups that I won't miss unless the Girl Apple has got better reasons. I've typed my own list below as a model to help you generate your own list when negotiating football season with your woman (or man). I've got a few rules.
- If Houston, Carolina, Atlanta, or Arizona are playing, immediately disqualify the match.
- Playoff rematches should be give serious consideration.
- Championship and Super Bowl rematches are automatic.
- If a team has purged due to Salary Cap issues, don't bother (i.e. Jacksonville, Baltimore).
- Old-Time rivalries are great to watch when given a chance.
- Less consideration should always be given to teams coming off disappointing years. (i.e. NY Giants, Tennessee, Minnesota).
- Teams with major coaching changes are must-watches (i.e. Oakland, Tampa, Indianapolis).
- Never, ever, ever pick a St. Louis game at home when they are playing any non-playoff team from the previous year.
- Perennial rematches are usually automatic, but not always automatic.
- Don't be afraid of 1:00 games with 3rd-4th team announcers. They can sometimes get a jewel of game by the stupidity of the television networks. (I call this the NY Jets Rule because CBS intended on giving the Jets so much undeserved national exposure).
Week 1: Pittsburgh at New England - AFC Championship Rematch.
Week 2: Oakland at Pittsburgh - Old-time Rivalry between playoff-caliber teams.
Week 3: St. Louis at Tampa Bay - Every year this game is a classic.
Week 4: Tennessee at Oakland - We'll know by now if last year was an aberration for the Titans.
Week 5: Green Bay at Chicago - Another great Old-time Rivalry.
Week 6: Green Bay at New England - Last year, The Pack trounced the previous defending champs. Can they do it again?
Week 7: Tampa Bay at Philadelphia - Playoff rematch.
Week 8: NY Giants at Philadelphia - Played two great games last year.
Week 9: Pittsburgh at Cleveland - Yet another classic rivalry. Should go a long way in determining the AFC North champ.
Week 10: Miami at NY Jets - Will Miami ever beat Gang Green again?
Week 11: Chicago at St. Louis - The playoff game we all thought we'd see.
Week 12: St. Louis at Washington - Spurrier came to the NFL because he watched the Rams with envy.
Week 13: St. Louis at Philadelphia - NFC Championship Rematch.
Week 14: San Francisco at Dallas - Used to be the marquee game of the year and is always fun to watch. Dave Campo's "Boys" have a ton of heart.
Week 15: Oakland at Miami - Should be a game with playoff implications.
Week 16 Denver at Oakland - Al Davis got his revenge last year, will it continue?
Week 17: St. Louis at San Francisco - What a way to end the season on Monday Night.
Making Plans For San Diego
AFC Division Champs
- North: Pittsburgh
- South: Miami
- East: Indianapolis
- West: Oakland
- Wildcard Teams: Cleveland, New England
AFC Division Champs
- North: Green Bay
- South: Tampa Bay
- East: Philadelphia
- West: St. Louis
- Wildcard Teams: San Francisco, Seattle
AFC Championship: Pittsburgh at Indianapolis
NFC Championship: San Francisco at Philadelphia
Super Bowl: Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia
Other Foolish Predictions
NFL MVP: Donavon McNabb
Offensive Player of the Year: Peyton Manning
Defensive Player of the Year: Lavar Arrington
Inside the Numbers
Average Number of Beers I'll Consume on Any Given Sunday: 6
Average Number of Beers my Roommate Prem will Consume: 10
Average Number of Beers my Roommate Markovich will Consume: 3
Number of "Yoi's" spouted by Myron Cope this year: 345
Number of moronic comments made by Beasely Reese: 280
Number of times Jerome Bettis will be referred to as the "Tubby Tailback" this year (The Still Trap and Mill Rule): 5689
Number of Snaps 30% of Stiller fans wish Tommy Maddox Gets: All of Them
Number of Snaps Tommy Maddox will get: 15
Number of times this year Chad Scott will get beat deep: 3
Number of times Girl Apple will fall asleep by halftime: 16
Number of Saturdays Girl Apple gets pampered: 16
Next Week: Part 2! An in-depth look at Week 1 of the NFL Season!