The billionaires of the NFL are shelling out more money to the millionaires of the NFL.
NFL free agency reached a milestone this year, with more than $1 billion in guaranteed money going to free agents for the first time in NFL history. According to the NFL Players Association, as of this week, a combined $1.026 billion was guaranteed in contracts signed by free agents.
The guaranteed figure represents an increase of 14.1 percent from last year, as the salary cap for each team rose to $155.27 million. The San Francisco 49ers, Jacksonville Jaguars and Cleveland Browns all have more than $40 million left in cap room.
As of Tuesday, 338 free agents have been signed this year – 236 unrestricted free agents, 20 restricted free agents and 82 “other” free agents.
Among the free agents signed this year, 11 of them received more than $20 million in guaranteed money, according to Spotrac, with defensive ends and offensive linemen the biggest winners.
2016 LEADERS IN GUARANTEED MONEY
- DE Olivier Vernon, $52.5 million guaranteed from New York Giants
- DE Malik Jackson, $42M guaranteed by Jacksonville Jaguars
- QB Brock Osweiler, $37M guaranteed by Houston Texans
- CB Janoris Jenkins, $28.8M guaranteed by New York Giants
- C Alex Mack, $28.5M guaranteed by Atlanta Falcons
- G Kelechi Osemele, $25.4M guaranteed by Oakland Raiders
- DT Damon Harrison, $24M guaranteed by New York Giants
- G Brandon Brooks, $21M guaranteed by Philadelphia Eagles
- T Mitchell Schwartz, $20.7M guaranteed by Kansas City Chiefs
- WR Marvin Jones, $20M guaranteed by Detroit Lions
- CB Sean Smith, $20M guaranteed by Oakland Raiders