Mike Holmgren/Seattle Seahawks
Per Mike Sando of the Tacoma News Tribune, Mike Holmgren has resigned from the competition committee, effective immediately. He announced his resignation at the committee's meetings at the combine today.
No word on what predicated the move (we all know where speculation will lead), but it is instructive to note that Holmgren was one of the big backers of instant replay, along with Charley Casserly.
Ted Thompson/General Manager/Green Bay Packers
- He confirmed he's had talks with RB Ahman's Green's agent and hopes a deal can get done before the start of free agency next week.
- Thompson said he's had on going talks with QB Brett Favre about his status. While no time table has been set for a decision, Thompson said there will be a time that they'll have to know one way or the other.
- As for WR Javon Walker (knee), Thompson said he saw him early last month and the reports he's received on his progress have been very good. Thompson didn't give an update on when Walker would be back on the field, hpwever.
Scott Linehan/Head Coach/St. Louis Rams
- He feels the offense is in pretty good shape heading in to free agency and the defense is an area that needs to be addressed.
- He's looking for more leadership from his defensive players and those type of players are the ones he'll be looking for in free agency and the draft.
- Linehan admitted that the tight end position is one he's looking to upgrade. While it seems he's happy with Brandon Manumaleuna as the blocker at the position, Linehan seemed to indicate that he's looking to find a receiver at the position.
New York Giants/Head Coach Tom Coughlin
- Coughlin admitted that the team will address their needs in free agency, specifically in the secondary. Coughlin wouldn't go in to it but it's obvious their needs are at cornerback.
- On the subject of DE Osi Umenyiora, Coughlin said as good as he was this past season, he can much better. What impressed Coughlin so much last season was his stamina. Specifically, he played as well in the first quarter as he did in the fourth quarter of games.
- As for the CBA extension, Coughlin said it's hard to get a concrete idea of what's going to happen and that affects how they're preparing for free agency.