* All mini-camp practice sessions are held without full pads, so contact has been very limited during the workouts.
"Without pads, what you're evaluating is footwork, technique, hand placement and where their head gear is placed," head Coach Dom Capers said. "We probably won't fully know until training camp but we've been working on it. We know the importance of running the football. I feel good about where we are at this point without pads."
* Former Detroit Lions quarterback Charlie Batch paid a visit down to Houston today. Batch met wil head coach Dom Capers, offensive coordinator Chris Palmer and general manager Charley Casserly to see if there could be a potential need for his services.
"This situation here is definitely a positive one," said Batch. "It's a new start for me. The talent that they have on this team is unbelievable. On paper, they're already a solid football team."
Batch was let go by the Lions after being benched most of last season due to inconsistent play. Detroit then acquired the services of former Oregon QB Joey Harrington in the NFL draft this past April. He was the sixth overall selection.
* The Texans added former Minnesota Vikings' center Calvin Collins and Buffalo guard Craig Heimburger to help provide some much needed depth along the offensive line.
Collins started at center and guard over the course of his first five seasons in the NFL. He started all 16 games in 1998 when the Falcons won the NFC title.
* LT Tony Boselli, DT Gary Walker and DT Ahmad Miller sat out several different practices last week with various minor injuries.
* The Texans have 102 players on their roster with 22 of them from the Lone Star State and 13 who played at Texas colleges.
* Houston will resume practice this week which will prelude a 5-week layoff before the official start of training camp.
Texans End First Week of Camp
Scout NFL Network Top Stories
Newly signed Murray has surgeryLatavius Murray, the Minnesota Vikings’ replacement for Adrian Peterson had surgery, the team announced Wednesday.
Viking UpdateWednesday at 4:03 PM
NFL looking to cut down commercial timeNFL commissioner Roger Goodell is looking to make the game a better viewing experience for fans.
Scout NFL NetworkWednesday at 1:33 PM
Over-under stat lines for free-agent moversSeveral playmakers moved teams in NFL free agency (or trades), but the expectations aren’t that high, according to one gambling site.
Scout NFL NetworkWednesday at 12:38 PM
Giants sign veteran RB Shaun DraughnThe journeyman running back is excited to be back in the playoff hunt.
The Giants BeatWednesday at 11:20 AM