Five most important things for the Texans:
1. Texans must stop the run. Houston did a solid job by putting eight and nine men in the box and they held the Jaguars to just 138 yards on 25 carries.
2. Playmakers make plays. Rookie running back Steve Slaton had 116 yards from scrimmage and a touchdown, tight end Owen Daniels had seven catches for 87 yards, and wide receiver Kevin Walter had eight catches for 76 yards and two touchdowns.
3. Protect Schaub. The Jaguars defensive line was stonewalled for much of the game and they registered no sacks and two pressures. Great job by the Houston offensive line.
4. Allow 3's, not 7's. The Texans defense wasn't great in the red zone, as they allowed two Jacksonville touchdowns in three red zone opportunities.
5. Win special teams. Houston not only didn't win special teams, but they allowed a fluky touchdown on a trick fourth down play on the Jaguars first possession where they had their punting unit on the field, and simply ran the ball on a fourth and six for a 41-yard touchdown by reserve Montell Owens.
What to look for:
1. Look for David Garrard to have a 100+ QB rating. David Garrard had his best game of the season as he hit on 23 of 32 passes for 236 yards and a touchdown. His rating was 103.1.
2. Look for a touchdown by Owen Daniels. Daniels led the Texans in receiving, catching seven passes for 87 yards, but he didn't find paydirt.
3. Look for a touchdown by either Marcedes Lewis or Mike Walker. Lewis had quite possibly his worst game as a pro as he dropped all three passes that were targeted for him. Walker had the best game of his young career as he caught five passes for 46 yards.
4. Look for Reggie Williams to get 60+ receiving yards. Williams had a breakout game, but he didn't get to 60 yards. Reggie caught four passes for 46 yards, and would've exceeded 60 yards if a long reception wasn't called back for holding.
5. Look for lots of runs to the perimeter by Houston. They Texans seemed to give up on the running game after finding some off and on success. The Jaguars ends held the perimeter well.
What the Texans Learned Against the Jaguars
State of the Texans Top Stories
Ten Things to Watch with Texans OTAsTen things to watch with the Houston Texans opening Phase III of OTAs this week.
State of the TexansYesterday at 7:05 AM
Texans Being Cautious with D'Onta ForemanThe Houston Texans are being cautious with D'Onta Foreman heading into OTAs.
State of the TexansYesterday at 6:48 AM
Deshaun Watson Knows This is Not About HimDeshaun Watson understands that being a Houston Texans is bigger than him.
State of the TexansFriday at 5:54 AM
Notebook: Aaron Rodgers Likes Deshaun WatsonTexans Notebook: Texans find replacement for Brian Gaine, Vince Wilfork doing the rounds and Aaron Rodgers on Deshaun Watson.
State of the TexansWednesday at 10:21 PM