Five most important things for the Texans:
1. Texans must stop the run. Houston did a solid job by putting eight and nine men in the box and they held the Jaguars to just 138 yards on 25 carries.
2. Playmakers make plays. Rookie running back Steve Slaton had 116 yards from scrimmage and a touchdown, tight end Owen Daniels had seven catches for 87 yards, and wide receiver Kevin Walter had eight catches for 76 yards and two touchdowns.
3. Protect Schaub. The Jaguars defensive line was stonewalled for much of the game and they registered no sacks and two pressures. Great job by the Houston offensive line.
4. Allow 3's, not 7's. The Texans defense wasn't great in the red zone, as they allowed two Jacksonville touchdowns in three red zone opportunities.
5. Win special teams. Houston not only didn't win special teams, but they allowed a fluky touchdown on a trick fourth down play on the Jaguars first possession where they had their punting unit on the field, and simply ran the ball on a fourth and six for a 41-yard touchdown by reserve Montell Owens.
What to look for:
1. Look for David Garrard to have a 100+ QB rating. David Garrard had his best game of the season as he hit on 23 of 32 passes for 236 yards and a touchdown. His rating was 103.1.
2. Look for a touchdown by Owen Daniels. Daniels led the Texans in receiving, catching seven passes for 87 yards, but he didn't find paydirt.
3. Look for a touchdown by either Marcedes Lewis or Mike Walker. Lewis had quite possibly his worst game as a pro as he dropped all three passes that were targeted for him. Walker had the best game of his young career as he caught five passes for 46 yards.
4. Look for Reggie Williams to get 60+ receiving yards. Williams had a breakout game, but he didn't get to 60 yards. Reggie caught four passes for 46 yards, and would've exceeded 60 yards if a long reception wasn't called back for holding.
5. Look for lots of runs to the perimeter by Houston. They Texans seemed to give up on the running game after finding some off and on success. The Jaguars ends held the perimeter well.
What the Texans Learned Against the Jaguars
State of the Texans Top Stories
Notebook: Internal Talks on Colin KaepernickIn this notebook: Florida's Pro-Day, Wes Welker's role defined for the Texans and Colin Kaepernick has been discussed by the Houston Texans.
State of the Texans8:35 AM
Texans Meet wth Florida's Joey IvieThe Houston Texans met with defensive tackle Joey Ivey at the Florida Pro Day.
State of the TexansYesterday at 5:58 PM
Do The Texans Have a Clear Path to Tony Romo?The NFL Owner's meeting was marked as a key moment for the Tony Romo saga and it appears they have less obstacles to worry about now for the veteran quarterback.
State of the TexansMonday at 1:57 PM
Texans Notebook: A Tony Romo Resolution?Texans Notebook: Owner's meeting in full swing and a Tony Romo resolution could be coming. Michigan and Local Pro-Day News.
State of the TexansMonday at 6:35 AM