Favre knocked out of game with concussion

Brett Favre left Monday night's game early in the second quarter when he was sacked and suffered a head injury. His return was originally announced as doubtful, and early in the second half he was ruled out of the game.

Punter Chris Kluwe predicted there would be some concussions and Brett Favre didn't even make it one half before taking a sack that ended his night with what he called a concussion.

Kluwe predicted on Sunday that there could be some concussions with the FieldTurf surface that is quick to freeze without heating coils underneath. When Favre was tossed to the ground by Corey Wootton on a 12-yard sack early in the second quarter, he stayed down on the ground until trainers attended to him and walked slowly to the sidelines.

"All respect to the people that cleared the field and got it ready, you did an amazing job. That being said, it's unplayable," Kluwe posted on his Twitter page Sunday after going through a walkthrough practice. "The field is as hard as concrete an hour and a half after they took the tarp off, and anyone that hits their head is getting a concussion."

Like several other players, Kluwe said after the game that the field was in better condition Monday night than it was following their Sunday walkthrough, but it was pointed out to him that he predicted a concussion.

"You hate to see it happen," he said. "That's not something that you ever want to see happen. Hopefully his is alright, and hopefully his head is OK because you know we would love to have him back and finish out the season."

Favre said it wasn't the direct hit Wootton put on him, but when he was thrown to the turf, he suffered the head injury.

"It was one of the few times that I kind of went blank there for a while in my career," Favre said. "It was just the way I guess I was slung around on the turf."

Favre said he didn't believe the cold had anything to do with his injury.

"I have played in colder. It was icy," he said. "Overall, I thought the conditions were OK. It didn't seem to bother Chicago that much."

Favre missed his first start since 1992 last Monday night, snapping a streak of 297 consecutive regular-season starts. He started against the Chicago Bears after being upgraded from "out" on Saturday's final injury report to "questionable" on Monday.

He said he sent a message to interim head coach Leslie Frazier late Sunday night saying he might want to try playing on Monday.

"I didn't know if I could throw before I went out in pregame," Favre said, referring to his sprained sternoclavicular joint in his throwing shoulder. "I threw three or four passes maybe three days ago and maybe 10 yards and I knew it was the last home game. Yeah, it was not in the Metrodome. It would be my last home game, period. This also may sound kind of crazy, but I was looking forward to playing in the blizzard. I played in Green Bay all of those years and I played in light snow and, go figure, it stops snowing right before the game starts."

He tested the shoulder before the game, and NFL commission Roger Goodell, who attended the game, said the Vikings handled the injury properly by informing the league of the situation before upgrading him Monday morning.

"These are medical decisions. The current status of an individual is based on the medical reports," Goodell said before the game. "As I understand, he wasn't capable of playing two days ago. He has made tremendous progress physically, so if he is capable of playing then he will be playing.

"We don't allow people to play games with the injury report. They have to be legitimate medical injuries."

Favre finished the game completing 5 of 7 passes for 63 yards and a 23-yard touchdown on the opening drive.

He said he didn't know if he would play again, but he didn't regret giving it a try Monday night.

Tim Yotter is the publisher of Viking Update. Follow Viking Update on Twitter and discuss this topic on our message boards. To become a subscriber to the Viking Update web site or magazine, click here.

Viking Update Top Stories