When the Vikings announced at minicamp that Daunte Culpepper signed a 10-year contract extension for $102 million, VU was immediately flooded with questions and comments -- both good and bad.
However, when asked by other media types on our impressions, we were quick to remind them of the contracts signed by Steve Young, Troy Aikman, and more recently Drew Bledsoe and Brett Favre. The true $100 million contract has never existed. That doesn't mean Daunte may not make $100 million as an NFL QB, it just won't be with this deal.
VU had a chance to get privy to the contract details. They are as follows:
* The actual cash value of the extension is $72 million. The remaining $30 million is based on escalator clauses and performance standards that may or may not be reached.
* The majority of the escalator portions of the contract are pushed to the final three years -- which makes it extremely unlikely that Culpepper's current deal will remain in its same form more than five years from now.
* His deal included an immediate $8 million signing bonus.
* In the first five years of the contract, he will have a base salary of $30 million, plus performance incentives.
* His base salaries for 2004 and 2005 are guaranteed.
* He will receive $2.5 million roster bonuses in 2006 and 2007 under the current contract.
In short, the deal gives Culpepper the financial security he wanted, but isn't the actual numbers released to the media. Like the franchise QBs mentioned above, his deal will likely be torn up by 2007 in exchange for another signing bonus and more guaranteed money. That's the way the NFL works, and Culpepper's deal is no different.
* The Vikings are expected to sign OT Robbie Doane, a non-drafted free agent who took part in last week's minicamp, to a contract as early as this week.
* Willie Shaw, who was at minicamp last weekend, has been assigned the duties of an advance scout to help the Vikes with prep work for future regular-season opponents. Head coach Mike Tice made sure Shaw got at least one more year with the team. After this season, Shaw will have enough time in as a coach to be fully vested in the league's pension program.
How Big is Daunte's Deal?
Viking Update Top Stories
2017 VIKINGS DRAFT GUIDEInformation on the Minnesota Vikings' 2017 draft, from where they pick to position analysis, links to stories, mock drafts and more.
Viking Update4:35 AM
Many Vikings fans not feeling the draftThe lack of a first-round pick has left Minnesota Vikings fans lethargic and without the typical draft questions that abound for the other 31 NFL teams.
Viking Update4:15 AM
Sizing up the competitionThe Vikings will face some difficult challenges in 2017. These are the strengths and weaknesses that their opponents will bring to the table.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:29 AM
Sunday slant: Breakout Vikings for defenseThis week’s draft will help shape the roster, but no matter who is added to the mix, some veteran players on the roster right now have every chance to earn a significant (maybe…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:15 AM