What was supposed to be a celebration of Daunte Culpepper's new contract extension became a harrowing experience for Michael Bennett May 11, as a post-minicamp party almost turned fatal. It became public Tuesday that Bennett was the victim of several shots being fired at his vehicle.
Bennett was uninjured in the attack, but three slugs were found in his Hummer and, at this point, there are more questions than answers.
Here's what VU knows at this time:
* Three Vikings -- Bennett, Culpepper and Willie Howard -- were celebrating the contract extension at Club Cancun, a bar on Rice Street in St. Paul managed by a relative of Corbin Lacina, May 11.
* At one point during the evening, Bennett had an argument with a female patron.
* The three Vikings players were looking to avoid trouble and were in the process of leaving Club Cancun when the argument spilled out in the parking lot with other men that were at the club.
* As Bennett drove away down Rice Street, a green Dodge Intrepid with four passengers opened fire -- pumping three or four shots at the vehicle.
* After following Bennett's car onto I-94, more shots were fired after both vehicles crossed into Minneapolis -- reports of more shots being fired were reported as Bennett's Hummer approached the Lowry Hill Tunnel.
* No suspects have yet been taken into custody concerning the incident.
As more information becomes available, VU will update this strange developing story.
Bennett Victim of Shooting Incident
Viking Update Top Stories
Preview: Vikings facing aggressive EaglesThe Minnesota Vikings’ continued success on Sunday will be predicated on their ability to handle and exploit the aggressiveness of the Philadelphia Eagles.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:26 PM
Key matchup: Former teammates face offOnly time will tell who got the better of the Sam Bradford trade to the Minnesota Vikings, but he and Carson Wentz will face each other Sunday after the trade that surprised them…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:06 AM
Vikings podcast: Spielman, Bradford and moreThe Minnesota Vikings are showing the fruits of some solid roster building and coaching. Their record, their stats and their depth prove it, as a talk with Rick Spielman showed.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:17 AM
Vikings rush offense needs to improveThe Minnesota Vikings are the lone unbeaten team in the NFL, yet they are failing at one of the typical telltale signs of a winning team - being able to control the clock with a…
Viking UpdateFriday at 8:23 PM