The San Francisco 49ers worked out aging, talented, enigmatic Randy Moss on Monday for 15 minutes, according to CSNBayArea.com.
San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh threw to Moss at the 49ers' practice facility after Moss had a physical at Stanford University.
"He looked good," San Francisco running back Anthony Dixon told CSNBayArea.com.
Dixon said Moss ran a variety of routes, including slants, outs and curls.
"Jim and (GM) Trent (Baalke) want to see if he can play," 49ers CEO Jed York told CSNBayArea.com. "We need to add somebody who can stretch the field, and it's up to those guys to see if he's a fit."
Moss and San Francisco team representatives met after the workout.
When asked if he would like to see Moss on the team, Dixon said yes.
"Oh, yeah, definitely," Dixon said. "That's Randy. You got to account for him when he's on the field."
Moss, 35, did not play last season after announcing his retirement. He's renowned as a deep-passing threat, something the 49ers lack, and is second all-time in receiving touchdowns with 153.
The last season he played was a mess. Moss traded by the Patriots, waived by the Vikings and finished with six catches for 80 yards for the Tennessee Titans in 2010.
But as recently as 2009, he was a force with Tom Brady and the Patriots. Moss had 83 catches for 1,264 yards and 13 touchdowns that year.
Michael Crabtree led the 49ers with 72 catches for 874 yards last season.
Report: Benson and Payton met with Goodell
New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson and head coach Sean Payton met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and league security Monday as part of the league's ongoing investigation into New Orleans' alleged bounty system, according to NFL.com.
NFL officials will consider possible penalties Tuesday and Wednesday, then issue a decision by the end of the week, NFL.com reported. Suspensions and fines are possible.
NFL.com also reports that Benson and Payton met with league officials over the weekend. That would explain a Sunday report from New Orleans television station WVU-8 that Benson and Payton were seen in Manhattan over the weekend. The station is owned by Benson.
Payton, general manager Mickey Loomis, the Saints organization and former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams were cited for "conduct detrimental" to the league by the NFL after several months of investigation into the Saints' possible pay-for-play system from 2009-11.
Williams is now the defensive coordinator for the St. Louis Rams and is charged with a lead role in the program.
Loomis and Payton released a joint statement last week assuming responsibility. It's been reported the Benson was informed of the system and told the staff to stop it. They ignored him.
Williams also released a statement saying that the program happened under his watch and he failed to stop what he knew to be against league rules.
Under the system, players were rewarded for big plays, but also for trying to injure an opponent, according to the league's investigation.
NFL.com also reports that the league will hold players who participated in the program responsible, too.
Punishment could include fines, suspensions and/or a loss of draft picks for the Saints.
Colts, Garcon can't come to an agreement
The Indianapolis Colts and wide receiver Pierre Garcon could not come to an agreement, and Garcon will become a free agent, according to ESPN's John Clayton.
The sides talked over the weekend and again Monday morning, according to Clayton. Though talks were cordial, a deal could not be reached. Free agency begins Tuesday at 4 p.m.
The 25-year-old receiver had 70 receptions for 947 yards and six touchdowns last season. The catches and yards were career highs. The six touchdowns tied a career high, despite playing for numerous quarterbacks during the season because of Peyton Manning's injury.
Report: Dolphins not out of Manning battle yet
The Miami Dolphins and not out of it yet.
Peyton Manning and Dolphins coach Joe Philbin are scheduled to meet early this week to talk about football-related issues, but not contract numbers, NFL.com reported Monday.
Miiami has been quiet of late about its possible pursuit of Manning, but, according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, that means the Dolphins are still in the hunt for Manning as opposed to out.
A source told Salguero he was correct in assuming Miami's silence was indicative of the club not wanting to hurt its chances with Manning.
ESPN reported that Denver is the favorite to land Manning. The NFL Network reported Monday that Manning is expected to visit the Tennessee Titans in the next two days.
Manning has visited the Broncos and Cardinals. Reports indicate the Dolphins and Chiefs are among the suitors hopeful of having an audience with Manning before he makes his decision, which could come this week.
Manning was released by the Colts last week. The rebuilding franchise was on the hook for a $28 million option bonus but a roster purge to restore the team's youth and salary cap flexibility made parting with Manning a must. Manning didn't play last season because of a neck injury that remains a question mark, and the Colts have the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft.
Notebook: Moss goes for 15-minute workout
Viking Update Top Stories
Assessing the metrics for Vikings RBsIn a season that saw the offensive line in flux, the running backs were rotating liberally with each of them displaying different strengths, as the net yards over average, grades…
Viking Update8:33 AM
Podcast: Outside free agents, Sunday reviewWith the Super Bowl teams set, we review the conference championship games and look at some of the potential free agents for the Minnesota Vikings to pursue.
Viking Update6:43 AM
McKinnon unsure of what's coming for offenseThere are numerous questions surrounding the makeup of the 2017 Minnesota Vikings offense. Running back Jerick McKinnon will be part of it. What will his role be? He doesn't know,…
Viking Update5:52 AM
Barr named to Pro Bowl as replacementThe Minnesota Vikings now have six players in the Pro Bowl after LB Anthony Barr was named a replacement on Monday.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:46 AM