GAME NIGHT NOTES
* While Michael Bennett had a huge game, perhaps even more impressive was the Vikings defense in stuffing the Saints tandem of Ricky Williams and Deuce McAllister. In Williams' first three carries, he lost nine yards. In McAllister's first three carries, he lost 11 yards.
* The Vikings offense looked solid, but Cris Carter admitted that the loss of four Pro Bowl offensive linemen "will eventually catch up with us."
* Dennis Green played the frontline players longer than he typically does in a first preseason game because of the lack of tangible playing time since the loss of Korey Stringer.
* The Vikes defense did a nice job of stuffing Williams and McAllister, but the pass defense looked brutal against the Saints first unit. Aaron Brooks completed all 10 of the passes he threw for 129 yards and a touchdown.
* Brooks' passing was the downside of the defensive effort. On the upside, the Vikings biggest problem last year was the lack of a pass rush, which allowed quarterbacks to pick apart the secondary. However, in the first five drives of the game, the Vikings defense recorded a sack in each of the first three and forced a fumble and intercepted a pass in the next two.
* It was a bitterweet reunion for Saints QB Jeff Blake. He was sacked by Lance Johnstone, who was the same player who broke his foot last year while with the Raiders and allowed Brooks to take over as the starter.
* Backup QB Todd Bouman called an audible to a bomb that nearly clicked in the second half. VU has been told that was the first audible Bouman has called to a pass as a Viking -- a sign that he is more comfortable as the No. 2 QB and is reading defenses better.
* Rookie Shawn Worthen got the start, sending Fernando Smith into a line rotation as a non-starter.
Viking Update Top Stories
Cutler returns, praising Vikings defenseBears QB Jay Cutler is returning to action and expects some rust, but he has immense respect for the Minnesota Vikings defense.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:43 PM
VIDEO: Bradford breaks down offensive issuesWhile Sam Bradford has generally had an impressive start to his time with the Minnesota Vikings, that didn't translate last week. He discusses the offensive struggles against the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:33 PM
VIDEO: Zimmer blasts report, talks BearsMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer defends his character after an erroneous report that was later corrected went viral, but Zimmer settled in to talk Bears mostly on Thursday.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 1:39 PM
Vikings look to turn the pageComing off their first loss of the season, the Minnesota Vikings are looking to shake the label of being soft and get back to their winning ways at Soldier Field Monday, a place…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:28 PM