Berrian catches friend burglarizing his house

Bernard Berrian caught a former teammate burglarizing his house and had video evidence to prove it.

Former Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Bernard Berrian caught a former college teammate and friend burglarizing his house on videotape, resulting in a six-month sentence.

In April, Berrian received an e-mail alert from his security system that his home had been broken into and was surprised to be watching former Fresno State teammate Therrian Fontenot stealing items that Berrian estimated at around $30,0000.

“I actually watched him doing it while he was doing it. I could have actually spoke to him while he was doing it,” Berrian told Action News 30 in Fresno, Calif. “I got a microphone on there, too. I could have actually told him, ‘I got you’ while he was doing it.”

Fontenot had cleaning supplies to wipe away the evidence, and Berrian suspects Fontenot is responsible for two previous break-ins at Berrian’s home before he had the new security system installed.

“I was like, ‘Wow, he’s a real professional,’ had a spray bottle with him to wipe off fingerprints and a towel,” Berrian said.

Fontenot, who played cornerback, spent time with the Philadelphia Eagles, Green Bay Packers and Cleveland Browns, playing one game each for the latter two teams in 2005 and 2006, respectively.

His Twitter profile says he is CEO of Fontenot Management with DeSean Jackson, James Sanders and Richard Marshall as clients.

Berrian signed a six-year, $43 million contract with the Vikings in 2008 but was released after the 2011 season after eight seasons in the NFL, four with the Chicago Bears and four with the Vikings.

Berrian said he and Fontenot were “close,” but said Fontenot was trying to live a lifestyle he couldn’t afford.

“He tried to keep up with the status that he was this big baller playing, had a bunch of girls, had money and was traveling everywhere, but he wasn’t doing that on his own. It was other people what was putting him up,” Berrian told Action News.

Berrian said he and Fontenot were attending a barbeque in April when Fontenot left and Berrian later got an e-mail alert from his security service and then watched Fontenot in his house via video surveillance. Berrian said Fontenot became more inquisitive about his whereabouts in the preceding months.

Fontenot pleaded no contest and Berrian attended the sentencing to “let the court and the judge know the level of deceit.” Fontenot was remanded to serve the rest of his six-month sentence.

Viking Update Top Stories