Minnesota Vikings bringing back Terence Newman

The Vikings are bringing back Terence Newman on a one-year deal.

The Minnesota Vikings continue to bring back their own, agreeing to terms with cornerback Terence Newman on Tuesday.

The contract is expected to be for one year, $3 million, according to USA Today.

In 2015, Newman started all 16 games in his first season with the Vikings and finished sixth on the team with 76 tackles, along with a team-high three interceptions and 14 passes defensed.

One of those starts last year came at safety, but the Vikings have already re-signed Andrew Sendejo and signed veteran safety Michael Griffin in a competition to start alongside Harrison Smith.

Although general manager Rick Spielman said he views Newman as a cornerback, head coach Mike Zimmer said he prefers to think of Newman as a “defensive back” that can offer help in several ways in the defensive backfield. The Vikings would like to get 2015 rookie first-round pick Trae Waynes more time at cornerback, so Newman and Waynes will likely compete for the chance to start opposite Xavier Rhodes at cornerback. Last year, Newman won that competition.

Newman has played under Zimmer’s defensive system in Dallas and Cincinnati before coming to Minnesota last year. He was originally the fifth overall selection in the 2003 draft by the Cowboys and started all 16 games his rookie season, registering 76 tackles, four interceptions, one sack, 20 passes defensed and one fumble recovery.

The Vikings also re-signed tight end Rhett Ellison on Tuesday to a one-year deal while receiver Mike Wallace, who was released by the Vikings due to his $11.5 million salary, is expected to sign a two-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens on Tuesday.

null

Viking Update Top Stories