The Vikings brought back five of their own Monday, as the team announced its 2003 practice squad (Version 1.0).
Among the players were a pair of Minnesota collegiates -- University of Minnesota offensive lineman Adam Haayer and St. Cloud State wide receiver Ben Nelson. The others are RB Larry Ned, OL Adam Goldberg and CB Horace Willis.
* CB Ken Irvin practiced Monday and is expected to be activated for Sunday's game. VU is being told he will be the No. 3 cornerback used Sunday.
* For the record, Brian Williams will start at CB, with Eric Kelly as the dime CB and Rushen Jones slated as the fifth corner.
* Doug Chapman didn't practice Monday and isn't expected to be active for Sunday's game -- barring a big-time recovery later this week.
* A pair of Vikings got assigned new numbers, as is the wont of the NFL to have receivers wearing numbers in the 80s and other positions assigned designated numbers. Wide receivers Kenny Clark and Keenan Howry got the switches. Clark will wear No. 89 and Howry will wear No. 82.
* Here's hoping No. 82 won't be a kiss of death for Howry. Derrick Alexander had the number until he was released and Robert Baker wore it before he was one of the final roster cuts Sunday.
Practice Squad Named
Viking Update Top Stories
Spielman: Bradford in prime of his careerWith the benefit of hindsight, Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said he would do the Sam Bradford trade again in a millisecond.
Viking Update5:15 PM
Spielman: Peterson ‘will always be a Viking’While it appears the Minnesota Vikings have made a decision on Adrian Peterson’s future – or lack of it – with the team, they aren’t ready to announce it.
Viking Update2:46 PM
Bridgewater not doing QB activities yetWhile the Minnesota Vikings don’t have any timeline on Teddy Bridgewater’s return to football, he continues to rehab.
Viking Update12:09 PM
Defensive tackles: All about FloydThe Minnesota Vikings currently have little interest in free agent defensive tackles, but that could all change if they don't want to pay Sharrif Floyd's fifth-year contract option…
Viking Update5:01 AM