Last year, Daunte Culpepper was his own worst enemy. Not only did he lead NFL QBs by a wide margin in turnovers, the Randy Ratio debacle led to poor decision-making all the way around.
With a new year and a new veteran backup QB in Gus Frerotte calling in the offensive plays to Culpepper, a change has already been seen. Last year, where Culpepper would have forced a pass into coverage or remained in the pocket too long waiting for a receiver to get open, he has thrown away more passes than ever before -- even in cameo preseason appearances. Culpepper has embraced the philosophy of coming back for another play instead of trying for a high-risk, high-reward turn.
The result has been a much more efficient Vikings offense and four games for Culpepper without a turnover. If he can go through Sunday's game without a turnover, the Vikings are going to be very hard to beat -- even at Lambeau.
* This will the fifth time the Vikings have opened a season at Green Bay. The last time was in 1994 when Warren Moon made his Vikings QB debut. The Vikes lost that game 16-10. The other games were a 23-20 overtime win in 1992, a 32-17 win in 1974 and a 34-7 loss in 1962.
* The Vikings will have to contain Packers RB Ahman Green. In games where he has rushed for 100 or more yards, the Packers are a perfect 14-0.
* Culpepper is very close to moving up in the team's all-time record books and could achieve three milestones Sunday. With one rushing TD, he will have 23 -- moving him past Fran Tarkenton for the all-time lead among QBs. His first TD pass this season will give him 66 for his career -- tying him with Wade Wilson for No. 3 on the all-time list. If he throws for 300 yards, it will be the 10th time in his career, which would tie him with Moon for second place on the all-time list.
* Beating the Packers at Lambeau will be a tall order. Not only did Green Bay go 8-0 at home in the regular season last year, but the Packers have won seven of the last eight games at home vs. the Vikings.
* Randy Moss has six 100-yard games vs. the Packers -- the most of any opponent he has faced.
Pressure on Culpepper Sunday
Viking Update Top Stories
VIDEO: Murray on his ankle, expected returnVIDEO: Minnesota Vikings RB Latavius Murray on his ankle, expected return
Viking Update11:14 AM
Welcome home or good riddance?In an ironic twist, Adrian Peterson's first game of his post-Vikings career will come at U.S. Bank Stadium. How are fans going to respond?
Viking Update8:37 AM
3-for-1 NFL draft-week specialBuy one month of VikingUpdate.com and get the next two months free.
Viking Update4:59 AM
Report: Peterson finalizes two-year dealAdrian Peterson has a new home after agreeing to a two-year deal that will bring him back to Minnesota for Week 1 … playing against the Vikings.
Viking Update4:51 AM