Initial diagnoses after the Vikings' win over the Packers Sunday said that the right knee injury to Corey Chavous could be severe enough to sideline him anywhere from one week up to as long as after the Vikings bye week next month.
While that prognosis was upgraded Monday, Chavous is almost certain to miss Sunday night's home opener with the Bears.
Chavous was in considerable pain Monday and is going to have the knee re-evaluated later in the week. He will be listed as doubtful when the Vikings send their injury report to the NFL Wednesday, but the chances of him playing Sunday are remote at this point.
At the earliest, Chavous will practice Friday, and that looks unlikely at this point.
* Willie Offord is expected to start in Chavous place, but may be shifted to free safety with Brian Russell sliding over the strong safety.
* For depth purposes, the Vikings, as reported earlier, officially re-signed safety Ron Israel Monday. Israel was one of the Vikings' final cuts Labor Day weekend.
* To make room for Israel on the 53-man roster, the Vikings cut DL Colin Cole.
* Fullback Charles Stackhouse, formerly of the New York Giants, is one of several players being brought in for workouts. By rule, after the first week of the season, players signed don't have guaranteed contracts, which is why several teams will be signing players this week.
* The Vikings cut WR Ben Nelson from the practice squad Monday and re-signed CB Jermaine Mays.
Chavous Out For Sunday's Game
Viking Update Top Stories
Men in the middle: Scouting free-agent MLBsThe Vikings aren't in the pressing-need category for a middle linebacker, but with Audie Cole a free agent and Mike Zimmer looking to amass troops, it isn't out of the question.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:11 AM
Notebook: Zimmer holding off on surgeryMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is holding off on another eye surgery until after the heavy travel period; and we also look at the futures of Chad Greenway and Adam Thielen.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:36 AM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 2)Who was a star basketball player who honed his skills in the boxing ring? What small-school star's abs have abs? What star rusher was taken under his father's wing? Those answers…
Packer ReportFriday at 7:19 PM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 1)Which top prospect has been without his mom for most of his life? Who is the son of a former NFL star? Who are two of the top small-school standouts? Those answers and more as we…
Packer ReportFriday at 6:54 PM