Initial diagnoses after the Vikings' win over the Packers Sunday said that the right knee injury to Corey Chavous could be severe enough to sideline him anywhere from one week up to as long as after the Vikings bye week next month.
While that prognosis was upgraded Monday, Chavous is almost certain to miss Sunday night's home opener with the Bears.
Chavous was in considerable pain Monday and is going to have the knee re-evaluated later in the week. He will be listed as doubtful when the Vikings send their injury report to the NFL Wednesday, but the chances of him playing Sunday are remote at this point.
At the earliest, Chavous will practice Friday, and that looks unlikely at this point.
* Willie Offord is expected to start in Chavous place, but may be shifted to free safety with Brian Russell sliding over the strong safety.
* For depth purposes, the Vikings, as reported earlier, officially re-signed safety Ron Israel Monday. Israel was one of the Vikings' final cuts Labor Day weekend.
* To make room for Israel on the 53-man roster, the Vikings cut DL Colin Cole.
* Fullback Charles Stackhouse, formerly of the New York Giants, is one of several players being brought in for workouts. By rule, after the first week of the season, players signed don't have guaranteed contracts, which is why several teams will be signing players this week.
* The Vikings cut WR Ben Nelson from the practice squad Monday and re-signed CB Jermaine Mays.
Chavous Out For Sunday's Game
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings announce changes in coaching staffThe Minnesota Vikings officially announced a few changes to their coaching staff.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 3:35 PM
Assessing metrics for Vikings’ receiversThe Minnesota Vikings have some big decisions to make with their receivers not named Stefon Diggs. We look at playing time, metrics and grades from 2016 to help you assess their…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:48 AM
Podcast: Who do you want among free agents?Viking Update publisher Tim Yotter and Star Tribune columnist Jim Souhan break down the Minnesota Vikings’ free-agent decisions and talk about the conference championship weekend.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 4:18 AM
Peterson discusses non-Vikings optionsAdrian Peterson appeared on ESPN's First Take Thursday and got caught up in a discussion of teams he may be interested in playing for if things don't work out with the Minnesota…
Viking UpdateThursday at 12:01 PM
Vikings’ odds to win Super Bowl LIIThe odds are out for Super Bowl LII at U.S. Bank Stadium a year from now. The Vikings aren't one of the favorites, but they are getting respect from oddsmakers.
Viking UpdateThursday at 7:12 AM