Initial diagnoses after the Vikings' win over the Packers Sunday said that the right knee injury to Corey Chavous could be severe enough to sideline him anywhere from one week up to as long as after the Vikings bye week next month.
While that prognosis was upgraded Monday, Chavous is almost certain to miss Sunday night's home opener with the Bears.
Chavous was in considerable pain Monday and is going to have the knee re-evaluated later in the week. He will be listed as doubtful when the Vikings send their injury report to the NFL Wednesday, but the chances of him playing Sunday are remote at this point.
At the earliest, Chavous will practice Friday, and that looks unlikely at this point.
* Willie Offord is expected to start in Chavous place, but may be shifted to free safety with Brian Russell sliding over the strong safety.
* For depth purposes, the Vikings, as reported earlier, officially re-signed safety Ron Israel Monday. Israel was one of the Vikings' final cuts Labor Day weekend.
* To make room for Israel on the 53-man roster, the Vikings cut DL Colin Cole.
* Fullback Charles Stackhouse, formerly of the New York Giants, is one of several players being brought in for workouts. By rule, after the first week of the season, players signed don't have guaranteed contracts, which is why several teams will be signing players this week.
* The Vikings cut WR Ben Nelson from the practice squad Monday and re-signed CB Jermaine Mays.
Chavous Out For Sunday's Game
Viking Update Top Stories
Spielman: ‘Plans in place’ with contractsThe Minnesota Vikings have several important decisions ahead of them at the quarterback position, but one has apparently already been made.
Viking Update8:25 AM
Podcast: AP’s new home, reacting to SpielmanWith the draft closing in, we react to Adrian Peterson’s new home, Rick Spielman’s press conference, character issues and more.
Viking Update7:23 AM
Mock draft, Round 2, Version 3In some cases, needs remained unfilled after Round 1 of our mock draft, but Round 2 is where to make up for that. While that’s often the case, we have the Minnesota Vikings going…
Viking Update6:28 AM
Viking Update Mock Draft, Version 6With diluted drug tests and final evaluations altering the stock and risks with some players, we reshuffle the deck and offer Version 6 of our first-round mock draft.
Viking Update6:21 AM
Red flags flying with offensive prospectsWhy do players sometimes last a lot longer than their talent dictates? Red flags – medical or law-related. Here are some top offensive prospects who have some concerns for draft…
Viking Update4:28 AM