Seeing as Corey Chavous injured his knee in the first half of Sunday's game vs. Green Bay, what he accomplished in pain was an achievement. So much so that the NFL honored Chavous Wednesday on its first awards day of the 2003 season.
With his two key interceptions of Brett Favre, Chavous was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week for the 2003 opening weekend.
The honor takes on more significance considering that Chavous was injured for much of the game and remains a question mark for this week. Mike Tice said Wednesday that Chavous won't practice until Friday at the earliest and the best-case scenario will have him a game-time decision whether to play or not.
* In other injury news, the Vikings have just three players listed on their early injury report. Safety Jack Brewer is out, Chavous is listed as doubtful and RB Doug Chapman is listed as probable.
* The Bears have just two players listed on their injury report. Guard Chris Villarrial (knee) is out and guard Terrence Metcalf (finger) is listed as probable.
* With Villarrial out, former Viking Corbin Lacina is slated to start at guard for the Bears Sunday.
* As reported yesterday, Gary Anderson tried out with the Titans and signed a one-year, $450,000 contract.
* Moe Williams will get the start again Sunday at running back.
* Ken Irvin is showing improvement on his injured toe, but likely won't be a starter again this week.
Chavous Wins Honor, Still On Hold
Viking Update Top Stories
Peterson responds to report on asking priceAdrian Peterson responded to a report about his asking price in free agency, but it’s still not clear what his asking price really is.
Viking Update7:11 AM
Vikings release 2014 3rd-round pick CrichtonAfter a lackluster three years with the Minnesota Vikings, Scott Crichton is out on the open market.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 11:10 AM
Vikings interview subject has size, potentialThe Minnesota Vikings interviewed a versatile offensive lineman at the NFL Scouting Combine that knows he needs to work on his technique but is confident in his abilities.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:07 AM
Vikings create space with Robison's new dealThe Minnesota Vikings and Brian Robison reached a deal that will extend him for one year with advantages and disadvantages.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:00 AM
NFL proposes 15 rules changesNFL owners will consider 15 different changes to the rules next week, some proposed by teams and some proposed by the Competition Committee and one that changes who makes the final…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 4:22 AM