Seeing as Corey Chavous injured his knee in the first half of Sunday's game vs. Green Bay, what he accomplished in pain was an achievement. So much so that the NFL honored Chavous Wednesday on its first awards day of the 2003 season.
With his two key interceptions of Brett Favre, Chavous was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week for the 2003 opening weekend.
The honor takes on more significance considering that Chavous was injured for much of the game and remains a question mark for this week. Mike Tice said Wednesday that Chavous won't practice until Friday at the earliest and the best-case scenario will have him a game-time decision whether to play or not.
* In other injury news, the Vikings have just three players listed on their early injury report. Safety Jack Brewer is out, Chavous is listed as doubtful and RB Doug Chapman is listed as probable.
* The Bears have just two players listed on their injury report. Guard Chris Villarrial (knee) is out and guard Terrence Metcalf (finger) is listed as probable.
* With Villarrial out, former Viking Corbin Lacina is slated to start at guard for the Bears Sunday.
* As reported yesterday, Gary Anderson tried out with the Titans and signed a one-year, $450,000 contract.
* Moe Williams will get the start again Sunday at running back.
* Ken Irvin is showing improvement on his injured toe, but likely won't be a starter again this week.
Chavous Wins Honor, Still On Hold
Viking Update Top Stories
Trader Rick in his elementWhy is this man smiling? For him, draft weekend is like a three-day Christmas with presents to open.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:31 PM
VIKINGS DRAFT BOARDThe picks, reaction from players and Minnesota Vikings, analysis, videos and more building throughout the draft.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:04 PM
Elflein helps build an offensive foundationRookie guard/center Pat Elflein brings leadership and physicality to the Vikings offensive line.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:33 PM
Spielman trusts in CookMinnesota Vikings GM Rick Spielman had legitimate concerns about rookie running back Dalvin Cook, but, once he got those concerns settled, he jumped at the chance to bring him to…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:17 PM
VIDEO: Spielman on Cook's skillsMinnesota Vikings GM Rick Spielman discusses Dalvin Cook's strengths and weaknesses on the football field.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:11 PM