Seeing as Corey Chavous injured his knee in the first half of Sunday's game vs. Green Bay, what he accomplished in pain was an achievement. So much so that the NFL honored Chavous Wednesday on its first awards day of the 2003 season.
With his two key interceptions of Brett Favre, Chavous was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week for the 2003 opening weekend.
The honor takes on more significance considering that Chavous was injured for much of the game and remains a question mark for this week. Mike Tice said Wednesday that Chavous won't practice until Friday at the earliest and the best-case scenario will have him a game-time decision whether to play or not.
* In other injury news, the Vikings have just three players listed on their early injury report. Safety Jack Brewer is out, Chavous is listed as doubtful and RB Doug Chapman is listed as probable.
* The Bears have just two players listed on their injury report. Guard Chris Villarrial (knee) is out and guard Terrence Metcalf (finger) is listed as probable.
* With Villarrial out, former Viking Corbin Lacina is slated to start at guard for the Bears Sunday.
* As reported yesterday, Gary Anderson tried out with the Titans and signed a one-year, $450,000 contract.
* Moe Williams will get the start again Sunday at running back.
* Ken Irvin is showing improvement on his injured toe, but likely won't be a starter again this week.
Chavous Wins Honor, Still On Hold
Viking Update Top Stories
Robinson: From D-II to starting prospectEdmond Robinson admitted he had a bigger learning curve than most rookies, but after two years he is in position to compete for a starting job with the Minnesota Vikings.
Viking Update4:10 AM
WATCH: Sam Bradford at OTAs, minicampSam Bradford was in charge at Minnesota Vikings organized team activities and minicamp working on the plays that will build the foundation for the 2017 season. Watch two minutes of…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:42 AM
Doleman meets the PopeFormer Minnesota Vikings defensive end Chris Doleman was one of seven Pro Football Hall of Famers to meet the Pope.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:24 AM
League shows Zim respectNFL.com released its annual preseason head coach power rankings and, while ranking the team as a middle-of-the-road squad, Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer was named a top-10 coach.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:01 AM