Seeing as Corey Chavous injured his knee in the first half of Sunday's game vs. Green Bay, what he accomplished in pain was an achievement. So much so that the NFL honored Chavous Wednesday on its first awards day of the 2003 season.
With his two key interceptions of Brett Favre, Chavous was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week for the 2003 opening weekend.
The honor takes on more significance considering that Chavous was injured for much of the game and remains a question mark for this week. Mike Tice said Wednesday that Chavous won't practice until Friday at the earliest and the best-case scenario will have him a game-time decision whether to play or not.
* In other injury news, the Vikings have just three players listed on their early injury report. Safety Jack Brewer is out, Chavous is listed as doubtful and RB Doug Chapman is listed as probable.
* The Bears have just two players listed on their injury report. Guard Chris Villarrial (knee) is out and guard Terrence Metcalf (finger) is listed as probable.
* With Villarrial out, former Viking Corbin Lacina is slated to start at guard for the Bears Sunday.
* As reported yesterday, Gary Anderson tried out with the Titans and signed a one-year, $450,000 contract.
* Moe Williams will get the start again Sunday at running back.
* Ken Irvin is showing improvement on his injured toe, but likely won't be a starter again this week.
Chavous Wins Honor, Still On Hold
Viking Update Top Stories
Men in the middle: Scouting free-agent MLBsThe Vikings aren't in the pressing-need category for a middle linebacker, but with Audie Cole a free agent and Mike Zimmer looking to amass troops, it isn't out of the question.
Viking Update10:11 AM
Notebook: Zimmer holding off on surgeryMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is holding off on another eye surgery until after the heavy travel period; and we also look at the futures of Chad Greenway and Adam Thielen.
Viking Update8:36 AM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 2)Who was a star basketball player who honed his skills in the boxing ring? What small-school star's abs have abs? What star rusher was taken under his father's wing? Those answers…
Packer ReportYesterday at 7:19 PM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 1)Which top prospect has been without his mom for most of his life? Who is the son of a former NFL star? Who are two of the top small-school standouts? Those answers and more as we…
Packer ReportYesterday at 6:54 PM