As part of our job, VU maintains a working relationship with beat writers from all of the other NFL teams. So it was that Monday in a passing correspondence to look ahead for future stories in the print and on-line version of VU, that we got a sweet nugget from the Falcons -- QB Mike Vick likely isn't going to play vs. the Vikings.
When Vick suffered a broken leg in the preseason, the original prognosis was that he would return in Week 5 when the Falcons will host the Vikings. However, Falcons coach Dan Reeves said Monday that Vick is being pushed back and the initial prognosis was a little optimistic.
As it stands now, Reeves is targeting Vick to return in Week 6 for a Monday night game vs. St. Louis or possibly even Week 7 vs. New Orleans. But the clear indication at this time is that the Vikings won't have to worry about trying to game plan for Vick because he won't be ready.
* VU has been told that Mike Tice wants to sign Chris Walsh to help the team's struggling special teams, but that the powers from above aren't willing to pay the pro-rated $450,000 veteran minimum for a player who would be on special teams only...at least not yet.
* Doug Chapman is listed as questionable for Sunday's game at Detroit. He is still slowed by a high ankle sprain, as well as tenderness in his Achilles tendon.
* Look for rookies Onterrio Smith, Nate Burleson and E.J. Henderson to all see more time on the field, starting this week vs. the Lions.
* Randy Moss had just four receptions for 27 yards Sunday, but he was key to the success of the Vikings offense, since the Bears committed two and even three defenders on almost every play to minimize his impact. They were successful, but that allowed the Vikings to run and pass for 200 yards each.
* Corey Chavous is listed as probable for Sunday with his knee strain. After being a question mark heading into last Sunday's game, he played the entire way and didn't sustain any setbacks.
Vikes to Miss Vick?
Viking Update Top Stories
VIDEO: Zimmer on final preps for EaglesMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer discusses some key players for Philadelphia, his defense and if Jake Long could play.
Viking Update12:02 PM
Vikings have 3 receivers on injury reportThe Minnesota Vikings could be getting Stefon Diggs back in the lineup, but he is among three receivers on their injury report.
Viking Update11:37 AM
Notebook: Walsh ‘past the bad things?’The Minnesota Vikings are preparing to play “quite possibly the best special teams unit across the board that we've faced so far this year.” Plus, the Vikings are doing much better…
Viking Update8:49 AM
Hard-core stats: Vikings at EaglesThe Minnesota Vikings will look to exploit some of the weaknesses the Eagles have shown lately, including one strength for the Vikings and one weakness. We go deep into where the…
Viking Update5:04 AM
Born to run … with backups?Perhaps no other division came into 2016 more dependent on strong running games to succeed as much as the NFC North. But, in just the seventh week of the season, all four teams…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:23 PM