Starting this weekend, NFL teams will begin having bye weeks, which will skew any team statistics into a "pro-rated" mode.
That being said, two weeks into the 2003 season, the Vikings are topping the NFC and, in several instances, the NFL in some key categories.
Consider the following:
* No team has more first downs than the Vikings' 46.
* No team in the NFL has more rushing attempts than the Vikings (75).
* The Vikings' 356 rushing yards is tops in the NFC.
* The Vikings' time of possession rate of 36:01 to 23:59 is the best in the league.
* The Vikes have only punted five times -- the least of any team in the NFL.
* In the first two games, Vikings' opponents have rushed just 36 times -- the least of any team in the conference.
* The 512 yards allowed by the Vikings defense is second only to Tampa Bay in the NFC.
* The Vikes' five interceptions is tied for the NFL lead.
But perhaps the most amazing stat through two games is that the Vikings have converted 60.7 percent of their third-down conversions. Only three other teams in the league are at 45 percent or better, which makes the Vikings' efficiency all the more impressive.
Once bye weeks come into play, any comparitive stats will be altered, but, for now, the Vikings are sitting pretty -- which explains why they're 2-0 and ready to put the hammer down on the NFC North.
* D'Wayne Bates was downgraded to questionable Thursday and it looks unlikely that he will play Sunday vs. the Lions.
* Doug Chapman practiced on a limited basis Thursday, but he remains a question mark for Sunday.
Vikings Killing In Stats Dept.
Viking Update Top Stories
VIDEO: Zimmer on final preps for EaglesMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer discusses some key players for Philadelphia, his defense and if Jake Long could play.
Viking Update12:02 PM
Vikings have 3 receivers on injury reportThe Minnesota Vikings could be getting Stefon Diggs back in the lineup, but he is among three receivers on their injury report.
Viking Update11:37 AM
Hard-core stats: Vikings at EaglesThe Minnesota Vikings will look to exploit some of the weaknesses the Eagles have shown lately, including one strength for the Vikings and one weakness. We go deep into where the…
Viking Update5:04 AM
Born to run … with backups?Perhaps no other division came into 2016 more dependent on strong running games to succeed as much as the NFC North. But, in just the seventh week of the season, all four teams…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:23 PM