Coach Mike Tice announced Friday that wide receiver D'Wayne Bates, who has battled a foot injury sustained in the win over Chicago, is out for Sunday's game at Detroit and has installed Kelly Campbell as the starter.
Bates, who tried to practice Friday, but shut it down during pre-practice warmups, was moved from questionable to out on the team's injury report. With Bates gone, Campbell moves into the starting slot, Nate Burleson moves to No. 2 and Keenan Howry got more reps at the wide receiver spot as a potential fourth or fifth wideout for Sunday.
* Doug Chapman also shut down practice early on Friday and spent most of the time with an ice bag on his ailing high ankle sprain. He, too, is listed as out for Sunday, which should again open chances for Onterrio Smith.
* The Vikings are expected to activate Kenny Clark, who has been inactive the first two games, to handle kickoff duties.
* The Vikes are looking for their sixth straight win Sunday and fourth straight on the road after going nearly two years without a road win before the current streak began.
* Only nine teams since 1970 have started a season with three consecutive wins over division opponents. The Vikings were one of the nine, pulling the feat in 1974 when they advanced to the Super Bowl vs. Pittsburgh.
* The Vikings are ranked fourth in total offense and fourth in total defense. In contrast, the Lions are 24th in total offense and 28th in total defense.
* In the series between the Vikings and Lions, the Vikings hold a 52-29-2 advantage.
* The Vikings five-game winning streak coincides with a five-game streak of holding the opponents to less than 100 yards rushing.
Campbell In, Bates Out
Viking Update Top Stories
Viking Update Mock Draft, Version 2The Minnesota Vikings don’t have a first-round pick, but they will be watching talent come off the board in the first round, including selections by their NFC North rivals.
Viking Update9:52 AM
Vikings decision-makers learning the offenseAs the Minnesota Vikings look to improve their offense, the decision-makers are getting more involved on that side of the ball.
Viking Update4:39 AM
Holler: Peterson's days as a Viking numberedWe will likely find out this week whether Adrian Peterson is a Minnesota Viking or not and the smart money is pointing toward "no."
Viking Update4:16 AM
Cornerbacks: Will Vikings have a need?The necessity for free-agent help at cornerback in a flooded market may have more to do with decisions made internally for the guys they already have.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:03 AM