Coach Mike Tice announced Friday that wide receiver D'Wayne Bates, who has battled a foot injury sustained in the win over Chicago, is out for Sunday's game at Detroit and has installed Kelly Campbell as the starter.
Bates, who tried to practice Friday, but shut it down during pre-practice warmups, was moved from questionable to out on the team's injury report. With Bates gone, Campbell moves into the starting slot, Nate Burleson moves to No. 2 and Keenan Howry got more reps at the wide receiver spot as a potential fourth or fifth wideout for Sunday.
* Doug Chapman also shut down practice early on Friday and spent most of the time with an ice bag on his ailing high ankle sprain. He, too, is listed as out for Sunday, which should again open chances for Onterrio Smith.
* The Vikings are expected to activate Kenny Clark, who has been inactive the first two games, to handle kickoff duties.
* The Vikes are looking for their sixth straight win Sunday and fourth straight on the road after going nearly two years without a road win before the current streak began.
* Only nine teams since 1970 have started a season with three consecutive wins over division opponents. The Vikings were one of the nine, pulling the feat in 1974 when they advanced to the Super Bowl vs. Pittsburgh.
* The Vikings are ranked fourth in total offense and fourth in total defense. In contrast, the Lions are 24th in total offense and 28th in total defense.
* In the series between the Vikings and Lions, the Vikings hold a 52-29-2 advantage.
* The Vikings five-game winning streak coincides with a five-game streak of holding the opponents to less than 100 yards rushing.
Campbell In, Bates Out
Viking Update Top Stories
Smith remains Vikings’ biggest injury concernThe Minnesota Vikings are healthier after their extended weekend off, but one big injury looms.
Viking Update1:13 PM
Playoff status will determine A.P.’s returnAdrian Peterson spoke with the local media Wednesday, saying he’s pushing for a return this season but that his availability may be determined by the Minnesota Vikings’ playoff…
Viking Update12:27 PM
Vikings see internal problemsThe Minnesota Vikings can blame others and even teammates for their problems, but they realize it’s put-up-or-shut-up time.
Viking Update7:12 AM
3 Vikings in top five for Pro Bowl votingThree Minnesota Vikings are among the top five at their respective positions for Pro Bowl voting among fans. See the vote counts and why Cordarrelle Patterson is not in the top…
Viking Update6:34 AM