You could hear the rumblings of the Chicken Little types as early as halftime of the San Francisco game. It sounded something like this:
"Gus is running the offense so much more efficiently than Daunte."
"Oh, I agree. He can get the deep pass to Moss and has the team up at the line in time to make changes. He doesn't have to call time outs or throw the ball away as often."
That's how you get a QB controversy. The funny thing, is the same schpiel was said in St. Louis about Marc Bulger when he replaced Kurt Warner, in Pittsburgh when Tommy Maddox replaced Kordell Stewart and in Cleveland when Kelly Holcomb replaced Tim Couch.
The difference? Whether fans like it or not, Culpepper will regain his starting job when the Vikings return from the bye -- and rightfully so. But, there are still lingering questions. Each QB has played 10 quarters in helping the Vikings get to 5-0, but they've done it in very different ways.
In his 10 quarters of work, Culpepper has completed seven passes of 20 yards or more -- four of them to Moss -- but just one pass of more than 30 yards (a 51-yard game-opener vs. Chicago to Kelly Campbell.
In Frerotte's 10 quarters, he has completed 11 passes of 20 yards or more, five to Moss, three to Nate Burleson, two to Campbell and one to Onterrio Smith. But of those 11 completions, seven of them have been for more than 30 yards, five for more than 50 yards and two for more than 70 yards.
While Culpepper will be back in the lineup for the next game, expect to see the Vikings take a long look at what Frerotte was doing so well and see if defenses try the same tactic with Culpepper when he returns.
* In his two games as a starter, the Frerotte-led Vikings offense has scored 74 points.
* The Vikings are the only 5-0 team in the NFC and, perhaps more importantly, all five wins count in tie-breaker procedures in the NFC and three of them are division wins.
* After an awful first half rushing, the Vikings ran for 135 yards in the second half to finish with 166 yards for the game.
* Brian Russell recorded his league-leading fifth interception and the Vikings spiked their total to 13 picks -- just three short of the 16 the team had all of last year.
* Frerotte had a 102.6 QB rating Sunday, the second straight 100+ rating and keeping the Vikings as the top QB passers in that category.
* Doug "Sling" Johnson, the hapless Falcons QB who was booed lustily by his home fans said that he doesn't believe the Vikings are as good as everyone thinks -- going so far as to say the 1-4 Falcons are better. Is "Sling" short for "Sling Blade?" We reckon Doug will have him some of them french fried potaters, Uh-huh.
* Lewis Kelly replaced Dave Dixon in the third quarter and played well enough that he remained in the game the rest of the way. The Vikings are grooming Kelly to replace Dixon as early as next year.
The Gus Factor
Viking Update Top Stories
Mocks for Minnesota on Day 2The speculative mock drafts run deeper than the first round, with 212 versions of 52 mock drafts munched by Scout.com. Here is how some of them saw the Minnesota Vikings going in…
Viking Update8:25 PM
Vikings testify to production after Round 1The Minnesota Vikings didn’t have a first-round pick, but those drafted after Day 1 testify to the importance of what they do after the draft, not where they were drafted.
Viking Update8:03 PM
2017 VIKINGS DRAFT GUIDEInformation on the Minnesota Vikings' 2017 draft, from where they pick to position analysis, links to stories, mock drafts and more.
Viking Update12:35 PM
Viking Update final mock draft, Round 2A late legal issue forces a former first-round value down to the bottom of the second round in our NFL mock draft, and a couple of other late changes in the second round.
Viking Update11:58 AM
Viking Update final mock draftLate-rising concerns, scheme fits and legal issues cause some minor tweaking in our NFL final mock, just on time for draft day.
Viking Update11:50 AM