A year ago, Talance Sawyer sustained a devastating knee injury. He tried to come back this spring, but his rehabilitation was slow in responding and the Vikings reluctantly elected to move on without him.
As the Vikings resume practice this week, Sawyer will be back. The team announced the re-signing of Sawyer, who has been a popular player and, even when the defensive line struggled, he was one of their most consistent pass rushers.
To make room on the roster for Sawyer, the team cut DL Colin Cole.
* This is the second time the team has cut Cole this season. However, it is expected by some in the organization that he will clear waivers and be brought back to the practice squad.
* Nick Davis is expected to start practicing Monday. The team will have a three-week exemption before making a decision prior to the Green Bay game -- either put him in the active roster or injured reserve. Considering the job Keenan Howry and John Avery -- the most likely competition for a roster spot -- have done to get the Vikings off to a 5-0 start, Davis will have to prove a lot to get on the active roster.
* The same may be true for Michael Bennett. While he would be much more key to the Vikings second-half push, the team must decide by the end of October whether to put him on the active roster, which would likely mean releasing Avery or Doug Chapman, or place him on injured reserve and shut him down until 2004.
* CBS plans to put its No. 1 broadcast team in the Metrodome when the Broncos come calling next week. The last time the Vikings were at home, FOX put its No. 1 booth team on the game.
* The Vikings will visit St. John's University today to hear its proposal for hosting the Vikings training camp next year.
* Pro Football Weekly named Kenny Mixon its defensive player of the week for his performance vs. the Falcons.
Sawyer Returns To Vikes Today
Viking Update Top Stories
Men in the middle: Scouting free-agent MLBsThe Vikings aren't in the pressing-need category for a middle linebacker, but with Audie Cole a free agent and Mike Zimmer looking to amass troops, it isn't out of the question.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:11 AM
Notebook: Zimmer holding off on surgeryMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is holding off on another eye surgery until after the heavy travel period; and we also look at the futures of Chad Greenway and Adam Thielen.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:36 AM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 2)Who was a star basketball player who honed his skills in the boxing ring? What small-school star's abs have abs? What star rusher was taken under his father's wing? Those answers…
Packer ReportFriday at 7:19 PM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 1)Which top prospect has been without his mom for most of his life? Who is the son of a former NFL star? Who are two of the top small-school standouts? Those answers and more as we…
Packer ReportFriday at 6:54 PM
Vikings shut out from compensatory picksWhile four teams were awarded four compensatory picks each in the 2017 NFL Draft and 16 teams got at least one compensatory pick, the Minnesota Vikings weren't among them.
Scout NFL NetworkFriday at 12:29 PM