When Rich Gannon was injured vs. Kansas City Oct. 20, it was expected he would be out three weeks and able to return vs. the Vikings. That prognosis kept getting pushed back until Wednesday, when the Raiders shut Gannon down for at least this season.
Gannon was placed on injured reserve Wednesday, prompting some to speculate that, at age 37, his career -- at least as a Raider -- may be finished. Gannon will have to have surgery on a torn labrum in his right (throwing) shoulder.
In his place will be Rick Mirer, a QB that brought about the same level of glee to defensive coaches for the Vikings as when they found out Doug Johnson would be starting instead of Mike Vick.
* Gannon is far from the only significant Raider who is injured. Three other players -- DT John Parrella (groin), C Matt Stinchcomb (shoulder) and DE Sam Williams (knee) -- are listed as out. Two other starters -- guard Frank Middleton (quadriceps) and DT Dana Stubblefield (ankle) -- are listed as doubtful -- and four other starters -- guard Mo Collins (knee), RB Charlie Garner (back), OT Lincoln Kennedy (calf) and S Rod Woodson (knee) -- are listed as questionable.
* The Vikings added guard David Dixon to the injury report Wednesday after he sat out the afternoon practice with a sore ankle. He was replaced in practice by Lewis Kelly.
* The only Viking listed on their injury report is LB Raonall Smith, who is listed a questionable with a hamstring but practiced Wednesday and is expected to be available to play if activated.
* The Vikings practiced outside Wednesday with temperatures in the mid-30s and winds howling between 20-30 m.p.h.
* After saying the Vikings had no interest in Kevin Johnson, the WR released by the Browns Tuesday and part of a couple of trade scenarios with the Vikings that broke down over the last year and a half, it turns out Mike Tice put in a waiver claim on him. Nice gamesmanship, coach. As it turned out, he was awarded to the Jaguars -- the team with the worst record that submitted a claim.
Vikes Won't Face Gannon
Viking Update Top Stories
Viking Update Mock Draft, Version 2The Minnesota Vikings don’t have a first-round pick, but they will be watching talent come off the board in the first round, including selections by their NFC North rivals.
Viking Update9:52 AM
Vikings decision-makers learning the offenseAs the Minnesota Vikings look to improve their offense, the decision-makers are getting more involved on that side of the ball.
Viking Update4:39 AM
Holler: Peterson's days as a Viking numberedWe will likely find out this week whether Adrian Peterson is a Minnesota Viking or not and the smart money is pointing toward "no."
Viking Update4:16 AM
Cornerbacks: Will Vikings have a need?The necessity for free-agent help at cornerback in a flooded market may have more to do with decisions made internally for the guys they already have.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:03 AM