When Rich Gannon was injured vs. Kansas City Oct. 20, it was expected he would be out three weeks and able to return vs. the Vikings. That prognosis kept getting pushed back until Wednesday, when the Raiders shut Gannon down for at least this season.
Gannon was placed on injured reserve Wednesday, prompting some to speculate that, at age 37, his career -- at least as a Raider -- may be finished. Gannon will have to have surgery on a torn labrum in his right (throwing) shoulder.
In his place will be Rick Mirer, a QB that brought about the same level of glee to defensive coaches for the Vikings as when they found out Doug Johnson would be starting instead of Mike Vick.
* Gannon is far from the only significant Raider who is injured. Three other players -- DT John Parrella (groin), C Matt Stinchcomb (shoulder) and DE Sam Williams (knee) -- are listed as out. Two other starters -- guard Frank Middleton (quadriceps) and DT Dana Stubblefield (ankle) -- are listed as doubtful -- and four other starters -- guard Mo Collins (knee), RB Charlie Garner (back), OT Lincoln Kennedy (calf) and S Rod Woodson (knee) -- are listed as questionable.
* The Vikings added guard David Dixon to the injury report Wednesday after he sat out the afternoon practice with a sore ankle. He was replaced in practice by Lewis Kelly.
* The only Viking listed on their injury report is LB Raonall Smith, who is listed a questionable with a hamstring but practiced Wednesday and is expected to be available to play if activated.
* The Vikings practiced outside Wednesday with temperatures in the mid-30s and winds howling between 20-30 m.p.h.
* After saying the Vikings had no interest in Kevin Johnson, the WR released by the Browns Tuesday and part of a couple of trade scenarios with the Vikings that broke down over the last year and a half, it turns out Mike Tice put in a waiver claim on him. Nice gamesmanship, coach. As it turned out, he was awarded to the Jaguars -- the team with the worst record that submitted a claim.
Vikes Won't Face Gannon
Viking Update Top Stories
Sizing up the competitionThe Vikings will face some difficult challenges in 2017. These are the strengths and weaknesses that their opponents will bring to the table.
Viking Update5:29 AM
Sunday slant: Breakout Vikings for defenseThis week’s draft will help shape the roster, but no matter who is added to the mix, some veteran players on the roster right now have every chance to earn a significant (maybe…
Viking Update5:15 AM
Vikings visitor analysis: The versatile TEThe Minnesota Vikings are in search of a tight end to add depth and they visited with one that was very impressive at the NFL Scouting Combine and showed versatility in college.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:13 AM
Most feared player for each Vikings opponentWith the Minnesota Vikings’ schedule out, we break down the key player for each opponent that will be key to each game plan.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:43 AM