The question Sunday isn't if Randy Moss will make NFL history, it is when.
Moss enters Sunday's game with 998 receiving yards – just two yards shy of becoming the first player in NFL history to notch 1,000 or more receiving yards in each of his first six seasons in the league. Moss has never had less than 1,200 yards in a season, but this year he has kicked it up to a new level.
Moss is on pace to post 1,776 yards this season. If he does, it would be the third-highest total in league history. Currently, Jerry Rice holds the record with 1,848 yards, followed by Isaac Bruce (1,781) and Charley Hennigan (1,746).
While Moss has consistently been one of the league's top players, as he goes from being a young phenom to a consummate veteran, the numbers keep growing and his value continues to shine.
* Moss isn't the only wide receiver looking to put himself deeper in the history books. With three receptions, Rice will become the first player to record 1,500 receptions for his career. With one touchdown, Tim Brown with join the 100-touchdown club.
* Something has to give Sunday. Oakland has lost five straight games while the Vikes have lost three straight.
* As part of Oakland's five-game losing streak, only Kansas City has a winning record among the teams they've lost to. The others? The Lions, Browns, Bears and Jets.
* The Vikings lead the NFL in total yards and are averaging 28 points game.
* The Vikings rank first in total offense (eighth rushing and sixth passing). Defensively, it's another story. The Vikes rank 30th overall (27 vs. the run and 30th vs. the pass).
* The Raiders hace the 24th rated offense (23rd rushing, 19th passing) and the 28th ranked defense (31st rushing, 15th passing).
* Homecoming Part I: Greg Biekert will be making his return to the Black Hole for the first time since he was released shortly before the 2002 season.
* Homecoming Part II: Henri Crockett will be playing against his brother Zack for the first time since joining the Vikings.
Moss to Set Record Sunday
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings sign 3 to practice squad, release 3The Minnesota Vikings shook up their practice squad on Tuesday, signing three – including an offensive lineman – and releasing three.
Viking Update1:34 PM
Did rotating tackles affect Vikings?The Minnesota Vikings took the unusual step of rotating their offensive tackles in the first half of Sunday’s loss. Did that affect their performance? Alex Boone reacted to that,…
Viking Update12:42 PM
Jake Long: 'I can't make those excuses'Minnesota Vikings tackle Jake Long said he needs to play better and he will, and he isn't letting "rust" or anything else be used as an excuse.
Viking Update10:32 AM
Cutler’s back, drawing angry Vikings defenseThe Bears announced Monday that, in the midst of Chicago’s World Series frenzy, local goat Jay Cutler will be making his return to playing action. How will it go? The Minnesota…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:02 PM
Notebook: Problems extended beyond pass proThe Minnesota Vikings had obvious problems with pass protection, but there are other areas head coach Mike Zimmer is addressing, too.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:41 PM