On Saturday, Vikings coach Mike Tice remained non-commital about the status of LB Chris Claiborne other than downgrading him to questionable for today's game with an Achilles injury that has kept him out of practice.
But VU is hearing that a key player in today's game could well be reserve LB Nick Rogers, who will step in if Claiborne can't go.
The reasons are two-fold. Tice doesn't want to play Claiborne if he can't be 100 percent and, with the speed the Rams possess in both the run and pass game, the Vikings will need as much speed on defense as they can muster.
Rogers has impressed coaches with his ability to track down plays and chase down running backs attacking the perimeter. Today will be his chance to prove he belongs in the starting lineup now and in the future.
* Once again FOX is trotting out its top announce team of Troy Aikman, Joe Buck and Cris Collinsworth to cover the Vikings.
* Through 11 games, the Vikings have 24 sacks -- only two less than they had all last year.
* The Vikings' 22 interceptions leads the league and is just two shy of their total from the last two years combined.
* The Rams have forced two or more turnovers in each of their last eight games. Not surprisingly, they are 7-1 in that stretch.
* Marc Bulger is 10-0 at home as a starting quarterback in the NFL.
* On the Rams injury front, defensive linemen Damione Lewis (ankle) and Leonard Little (chest) are both listed as questionable, but each is expected to play today.
* VU would like to thank fans for their continued support of the Chunky Soup Click for Cans campaign. As of early Sunday, the Vikings were in third place with 174,000 cans of soup donated to foodshelves on behalf of the Vikings. They trail only the Packers (279,000) and the Chiefs (240,000) for times fans have gone on-line to chunky.com to click on the helmet of their favorite team to add another can to the donation list.
Rogers Likely To Step In
Viking Update Top Stories
VIDEO: Zimmer on final preps for EaglesMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer discusses some key players for Philadelphia, his defense and if Jake Long could play.
Viking Update12:02 PM
Vikings have 3 receivers on injury reportThe Minnesota Vikings could be getting Stefon Diggs back in the lineup, but he is among three receivers on their injury report.
Viking Update11:37 AM
Notebook: Walsh ‘past the bad things?’The Minnesota Vikings are preparing to play “quite possibly the best special teams unit across the board that we've faced so far this year.” Plus, the Vikings are doing much better…
Viking Update8:49 AM
Hard-core stats: Vikings at EaglesThe Minnesota Vikings will look to exploit some of the weaknesses the Eagles have shown lately, including one strength for the Vikings and one weakness. We go deep into where the…
Viking Update5:04 AM
Born to run … with backups?Perhaps no other division came into 2016 more dependent on strong running games to succeed as much as the NFC North. But, in just the seventh week of the season, all four teams…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:23 PM