Vikings coach Mike Tice wasn't in a good mood on Monday, less than 24 hours after his team's 48-17 loss to St. Louis.
"I am embarrassed for the organization, for me, for ownership, for the fans, and for you the media that follows," Tice said. "We will do the best job that we can do to fix whatever area we can and have a great December."
Tice made one thing clear: The Vikings aren't going anywhere if they don't improve their pass protection against blitzes. The Rams went heavy on blitzes and came up with eight sacks, three turnovers and a 90-yard fumble return for a touchdown.
"Blocking hurts and you have to understand that as a player," Tice said. "When they are coming at you like they did [Sunday] you better [block] them. You better hold your ground and give people a chance to make plays. That is your J-O-B. Each guy has to do his J-O-B."
The Vikings (7-5) have lost five of their past six games, but still lead Green Bay (6-6) by one game going into Sunday's game against Seattle (8-4) at the Metrodome.
The Vikings' pass protection should improve at home. Blockers were bothered by the noise inside the Edward Jones Dome. Of the Vikings' 11 penalties, six were for false starts.
"If you can't win the battle of the line of scrimmage, you are not going to win a lot of games," Tice said. "You might not win any."
One of those at the line of scrimmage is center Matt Birk, who wasn't pleased the game either.
"When you lose by 30 points, it's embarrassing. When you lose by 30, you don't feel like a first-place team."
* LB Chris Claiborne was inactive against the Rams because of a sore Achilles' tendon. Claiborne said Monday he would play this week against Seattle.
* TE Jim Kleinsasser suffered a hip flexor against the Rams, but isn't expected to miss any playing time.
* LB Raonall Smith was inactive for the eighth time in the past nine games because of a hamstring injury.
* WR D'Wayne Bates was inactive for the second consecutive week because of a hamstring injury. He has missed six games this season because of hamstring and foot injuries.
* QB Daunte Culpepper has 14 turnovers after committing two more against the Rams. He threw an interception and lost one of two fumbles. He now has eight interceptions and has lost six of 12 fumbles. He had 23 interceptions and lost nine of 24 fumbles in 2002.
Tice Blitzed And Embarrassed
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings release 2014 3rd-round pick CrichtonAfter a lackluster three years with the Minnesota Vikings, Scott Crichton is out on the open market.
Viking Update11:10 AM
Vikings interview subject has size, potentialThe Minnesota Vikings interviewed a versatile offensive lineman at the NFL Scouting Combine that knows he needs to work on his technique but is confident in his abilities.
Viking Update9:07 AM
Vikings create space with Robison's new dealThe Minnesota Vikings and Brian Robison reached a deal that will extend him for one year with advantages and disadvantages.
Viking Update7:00 AM
NFL proposes 15 rules changesNFL owners will consider 15 different changes to the rules next week, some proposed by teams and some proposed by the Competition Committee and one that changes who makes the final…
Viking Update4:22 AM
Lot to like, question as Vikings work out DLThe Minnesota Vikings showed significant interest in a defensive tackle by working him out and likely wanted to get a better sense of his thinking, temperament and technique.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 1:41 PM