Earlier this year, Randy Moss put his own ability into perspective for Vikings fans when he surpassed Anthony Carter for third place all-time on the Vikings receptions list. It took A.C. nine season to amass 478 receptions. Moss did it in five-and-a-half years.
So it should come as no surprise that Moss will be moving into the rarified air only he and Cris Carter can share Sunday. With three receptions, Moss will pass Steve Jordan into second place on the all-time Vikings receptions list, leaving him behind only Cris Carter.
With a fourth reception, Moss will become the fastest receiver to 500 receptions in league history. Earlier this year, he became the first player in NFL history to have 1,000 or more receiving yards each of his first six seasons.
Perhaps we're a bit jaded seeing Moss every week, but, as the numbers continue to mount, his NFL legend becomes more and more secure.
* Chris Claiborne has been upgraded from questionable to probable for Sunday's game.
* Billy Lyon was added to the injury report with a calf strain. He is listed as probable.
* The Seahawks are a lowly 1-4 on the road, but three of those losses have been by a combined 13 points -- meaning they may not be as awful as their road record would indicate.
* It's easy to see why so many observers are predicting a high score Sunday. The Vikings have the league's No. 1 rated offense (No. 7 rush, No. 3 pass), while the Seahawks have the No. 4 rated offense (No. 8 rush, No. 9 pass). On the other side, both defenses lack some zip. Seattle is No. 17 (No. 15 rush, No. 18 pass), while the Vikes have slipped all the way to No. 29 (No. 24 rush, No. 29 pass).
* Former Viking John Randle needs just one sack Sunday to tie Richard Dent for fifth on the all-time sacks list with 137 for his career.
* Vikings coach Mike Tice started 83 games as a tight end for the Seahawks.
Moss Re-Writing Record Books
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings sign 3 to practice squad, release 3The Minnesota Vikings shook up their practice squad on Tuesday, signing three – including an offensive lineman – and releasing three.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 1:34 PM
Long: No excusesJake Long was only on the field for 13 plays Sunday at Philadelphia, but two of those resulted in turnovers that cost the Minnesota Vikings offense from putting up points. On…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:55 PM
Did rotating tackles affect Vikings?The Minnesota Vikings took the unusual step of rotating their offensive tackles in the first half of Sunday’s loss. Did that affect their performance? Alex Boone reacted to that,…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:42 PM
Cutler’s back, drawing angry Vikings defenseThe Bears announced Monday that, in the midst of Chicago’s World Series frenzy, local goat Jay Cutler will be making his return to playing action. How will it go? The Minnesota…
Viking UpdateMonday at 10:02 PM