Some coaches have an unnatural fear of certain players. Denny Green, for example, was terrified of Desmond Howard and would never kick a ball in his direction, opting to kick out of bounds if needed.
Bears coach Dick Jauron has a similar fear with Daunte Culpepper. Seeing as you can't kick away from a QB, Jauron is going to tie up his best defensive player to keep Culpepper from scrambling.
Following practice Thursday, the Bears discussed using LB Brian Urlacher as a spy on Culpepper the entire game -- having him give up some of his coverage responsibility to chase Culpepper wherever he goes.
While the Bears aren't the first to employ this strategy, they are the most persistent. The truth is that spies seldom work in NFL situations and Culpepper will be looking to do much more damage with his arm than with his legs Sunday, so we heartily endorse the Bears using Urlacher as a spy all day Sunday.
* The Vikings' practice field was frozen solid by below-zero temperatures Wednesday night and was unable to be used for practice Thursday.
* Michael Bennett sat out another practice Thursday but insisted he'll be good to go Sunday.
* Chris Claiborne was added to the injury report with his strained Achilles. He is listed as probable.
* Randy Moss has seven games with 120 or more yards receiving.
* A judge ruled that the Stringer family, which sued the Vikings over the wrongful death of Korey Stringer, owes the team for its legal expenses to fight the case -- which was eventually thrown out. The total cost could be as much as $47,000.
I Spy Daunte
Viking Update Top Stories
VIDEO: Best fits for Adrian PetersonThe NFL Network crew discusses some less-talked-about fits for Adrian Peterson if he is not with the Minnesota Vikings, but there could be an issue with him fitting in with a much…
Viking Update1:25 PM
Sunday slant: WR holds free-agent intrigueThe Minnesota Vikings have more pressing positions to solve in free agency than wide receiver, but there are interesting and altering decisions ahead at the position.
Viking Update6:30 AM
Why should fans expect Peterson to stay?Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson sent out a cryptic tweet about the New York Giants’ recent roster moves, but those who would be surprised if he ends up somewhere else don't…
Viking Update5:14 AM
Podcast: A.P.’s best landing spots and moreAdrian Peterson seems to be sending out indications of where he would like to play, but what teams are the best fits? Plus, roster moves, their meaning and more.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:26 AM