Lance Johnstone has given himself high marks for his pass rushing this season, but the Vikings coaching staff may not agree, as he seems to be the immediate odd man out as the Vikings prepare for Green Bay Sunday.
On Tuesday, the Vikings traded for Stalin Colinet, who came to the Vikings as a defensive end, but was shifted to defensive taclkle at Cleveland. When he came back, however, not only his role, but those of Johnstone and Talance Sawyer changed.
Colinet was in uniform for Wednesday's practice and the addition caused an immediate change. Colinet assumed the left defensive end position, which had been manned by Sawyer. Sawyer moved to right defensive end, where he was his most effective last season. Dennis Green said Colinet would start Sunday, more in response to trying to get a bigger man on the end to pressure Brett Favre than any permanent move.
That isn't to say that Johnstone will be on the bench. The coaches expect that he will see up to 40 plays on Sunday as a stand-up pass rushing defensive end, much in the same role that former Kansas City great Derrick Thomas made famous as a combination defensive end/linebacker.
The intention is clear -- the Vikings aren't standing pat and take the gravity of Sunday's game very seriously, even if it means shaking up the starting defensive line.
* On the injury front, Randy Moss didn't take part in either Wednesday practice, instead working out on a stationary bike to protect his injured ankle.
* Injury front II -- Michael Bennett isn't wearing his protective boot on his injured ankle, but isn't expected to play Sunday due to continued pain from the sprained ankle he sustained in the third quarter of Sunday's game.
* Injury front III -- Corbin Lacina practiced lightly Wednesday and indications are that he will likely play Sunday.
* Kick returner Allen Rossum returned to Green Bay's practice Wednesday and is expected to play Sunday. In his absence, the Packers had put Antonio Freeman in as a punt returner.
* Baltimore's Matt Stover tied Fred Cox's all-time NFL record for 30 consecutive games with a field goal Sunday and goes for the record this week against Cleveland. Cox's record has stood for 30 years.
Colinet Immediately Named Starter
Viking Update Top Stories
Men in the middle: Scouting free-agent MLBsThe Vikings aren't in the pressing-need category for a middle linebacker, but with Audie Cole a free agent and Mike Zimmer looking to amass troops, it isn't out of the question.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:11 AM
Notebook: Zimmer holding off on surgeryMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is holding off on another eye surgery until after the heavy travel period; and we also look at the futures of Chad Greenway and Adam Thielen.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:36 AM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 2)Who was a star basketball player who honed his skills in the boxing ring? What small-school star's abs have abs? What star rusher was taken under his father's wing? Those answers…
Packer ReportFriday at 7:19 PM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 1)Which top prospect has been without his mom for most of his life? Who is the son of a former NFL star? Who are two of the top small-school standouts? Those answers and more as we…
Packer ReportFriday at 6:54 PM