Lance Johnstone has given himself high marks for his pass rushing this season, but the Vikings coaching staff may not agree, as he seems to be the immediate odd man out as the Vikings prepare for Green Bay Sunday.
On Tuesday, the Vikings traded for Stalin Colinet, who came to the Vikings as a defensive end, but was shifted to defensive taclkle at Cleveland. When he came back, however, not only his role, but those of Johnstone and Talance Sawyer changed.
Colinet was in uniform for Wednesday's practice and the addition caused an immediate change. Colinet assumed the left defensive end position, which had been manned by Sawyer. Sawyer moved to right defensive end, where he was his most effective last season. Dennis Green said Colinet would start Sunday, more in response to trying to get a bigger man on the end to pressure Brett Favre than any permanent move.
That isn't to say that Johnstone will be on the bench. The coaches expect that he will see up to 40 plays on Sunday as a stand-up pass rushing defensive end, much in the same role that former Kansas City great Derrick Thomas made famous as a combination defensive end/linebacker.
The intention is clear -- the Vikings aren't standing pat and take the gravity of Sunday's game very seriously, even if it means shaking up the starting defensive line.
* On the injury front, Randy Moss didn't take part in either Wednesday practice, instead working out on a stationary bike to protect his injured ankle.
* Injury front II -- Michael Bennett isn't wearing his protective boot on his injured ankle, but isn't expected to play Sunday due to continued pain from the sprained ankle he sustained in the third quarter of Sunday's game.
* Injury front III -- Corbin Lacina practiced lightly Wednesday and indications are that he will likely play Sunday.
* Kick returner Allen Rossum returned to Green Bay's practice Wednesday and is expected to play Sunday. In his absence, the Packers had put Antonio Freeman in as a punt returner.
* Baltimore's Matt Stover tied Fred Cox's all-time NFL record for 30 consecutive games with a field goal Sunday and goes for the record this week against Cleveland. Cox's record has stood for 30 years.
Colinet Immediately Named Starter
Viking Update Top Stories
Holler: You think you've got pain?When it comes to painful sports losses, there's something about 'Sconny and nobody has lived out that nightmare more than the Packers. What kind of pain would you rather have?
Viking Update8:08 AM
Peterson responds to report on asking priceAdrian Peterson responded to a report about his asking price in free agency, but it’s still not clear what his asking price really is.
Viking Update7:11 AM
Vikings release 2014 3rd-round pick CrichtonAfter a lackluster three years with the Minnesota Vikings, Scott Crichton is out on the open market.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 11:10 AM
Vikings interview subject has size, potentialThe Minnesota Vikings interviewed a versatile offensive lineman at the NFL Scouting Combine that knows he needs to work on his technique but is confident in his abilities.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:07 AM