The trade deadline in other sports is typically a flurry of activity, where teams in the thick of a playoff hunt or underachievers looking to get back into the race make trades with the also-rans of the league to get a high-priced veteran or up-and-coming youngster that can help put them over the top.
Unlike those sports, the NFL is a different animal completely. Very little trade activity comes around, even though several teams could dearly use a key offensive or defensive player.
While VU has been told the Vikings may be interested in making a trade for an offensive lineman, it isn't expected to come through today, as the trade deadline looms at 3 p.m. We're being told that the Vikings will likely be approached by at least one team today, but that the Vikings aren't going to be burning up the phone lines themselves looking to initiate a move.
* Always your Robert Smith sports leader, VU had an official Smith citing Saturday night. Smith was seen playing a video golf game at the Champps restaurant in Eden Prairie, where he was joined by Robert Griffith. It didn't take long for Smith to be notice and have slappies come up and ask for autographs and photos, which ended up cutting his homecoming evening short.
* On the injury front, Michael Bennett is likely going to be out again this week -- given until after the bye week to heal from his ankle injury -- but Corbin Lacina is expected back in the lineup. Meanwhile, Randy Moss' foot problems continue to mount. According to team doctors, Moss not only has a ankle sprain in his right foot, he has Achilles tendonitis in his left foot. Neither is expected to force him to miss any action.
* Big news from our sources with the Bucs -- there is a growing sentiment among Bucs players to bench Brad Johnson in favor of Shaun King. While Tony Dungy has made no such decision yet, if Johnson continues to struggle, the Vikings game may be his last start for awhile.
* The Bucs have a couple of key injuries as well, with both Warrick Dunn (foot) and Keyshawn Johnson (hip) banged up. However, both are expected to play Sunday.
* Both Lance Johnstone and Kenny Wright won appeals to the league for fines levied in the season opener. Both were fined $5,000 for uniform violations -- a pathetic issue over uniform codes about length of socks and league-sanctioned wear. Both won their appeals and had the $5,000 taken from their paychecks returned.
* One of our Packers sources said that, at his Monday press conference, Green Bay coach Mike Sherman apologized for not pulling Brett Favre in the fourth quarter after being hammered by the Vikings. Favre suffered a mild shoulder injury and several welts and bruises from being hammered to the turf in the Metrodome.
Vikings Not Expected to Make Any Trades
Viking Update Top Stories
Reports: Peterson nearing dealFormer Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson could find a home before the NFL draft kicks off Thursday.
Viking Update1:13 PM
Mayock on Vikings’ ‘splash’ decisionWithout a first-round pick, what does NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock expect from the Minnesota Vikings’ second-round pick?
Viking Update12:36 PM
Former Vikings tackle calls it a careerThe Minnesota Vikings didn’t have Jake Long for long last year, but the Vikings will go down as the offensive tackle’s last NFL team.
Viking Update9:54 AM
In-depth NFL draft analysis: SafetiesOne of the best safety classes in some time could see two of them chosen in the top 10 and many more in the first two days. Is it worth a shot for the Minnesota Vikings? We assess…
Viking Update7:29 AM
2017 VIKINGS DRAFT GUIDEInformation on the Minnesota Vikings' 2017 draft, from where they pick to position analysis, links to stories, mock drafts and more.
Viking Update4:35 AM