It seemed only fitting that Sunday's Pro Bowl ended when kicker Mike Vanderjagt, who didn't miss a kick all year, missed his second field goal of the night (a 51-yarder) to end the wildest Pro Bowl ever with a 55-52 win by the NFC.
The Vikings' Corey Chavous had a big night with a key interception and seven tackles (second only to LaVar Arrington) to lead the NFC to the win.
Matt Birk and Daunte Culpepper also represented the Vikings in the free-for-all. Culpepper finished the game completing just two of seven, but they covered 57 yards -- a sign of things to come.
The NFC scored 28 points in the fourth quarter behind a four-TD performance from Rams QB Marc Bulger, who shared the MVP award with Peyton Manning -- setting Pro Bowl records for attempts and completions as well as throwing for 342 yards and three TDs.
For those who have dismissed the Pro Bowl as an anti-climax on the heels of the Super Bowl, they may have to take notice.
* Perhaps one of the reasons why NFL fans don't jump on the Pro Bowl bandwagon is that not all the top stars play in the game. This year a record 12 players declined playing in the Pro Bowl, including Randy Moss -- who has never missed a preseason, regular season or postseason game, but has skipped three Pro Bowls.
* The win for the NFC was just the second in eight years.
* The AFC set an all-time Pro Bowl record for points in a half by scoring 31 in the first half Sunday. That mark stood for just one half, as the NFC piled up 42 points in the second half -- including a record 28 points in the fourth quarter alone.
* One of the lighter moments Sunday came following Chavous' fourth-quarter interception as Culpepper and Arrington led a small group of NFC players in an impromptu rendition of the OutKast song "The Way You Move" on the sidelines.
* There were a total of 41 players who made their first Pro Bowl appearance Sunday -- another record.
* The stats may not tell the full story of this insane game. As a team, the NFC completed just 18 of 37 passes for 260 yards and four touchdowns. The AFC completed a Pro Bowl record 30 of 57 passes for 542 yards -- with five TDs and three interceptions.
One For The (Record) Books
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings testify of hard-throwing BridgewaterAlthough Teddy Bridgewater isn’t fully back from his knee injury, teammates and coaches like his arm strength.
Viking Update7:47 AM
Vikings defense in good handsNo Zim? No problem for Minnesota Vikings defense while the top dog recuperates.
Viking Update7:01 AM
Vikings nearing halfway point in signingsThe Minnesota Vikings are nearly halfway through signing their draft picks with a handful of contracts completed in 24 hours.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:29 AM
Zimmer: ‘This will not keep me from coaching’Whether he has one good eye or two, Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer plans to return to the team soon.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:39 AM