It seemed only fitting that Sunday's Pro Bowl ended when kicker Mike Vanderjagt, who didn't miss a kick all year, missed his second field goal of the night (a 51-yarder) to end the wildest Pro Bowl ever with a 55-52 win by the NFC.
The Vikings' Corey Chavous had a big night with a key interception and seven tackles (second only to LaVar Arrington) to lead the NFC to the win.
Matt Birk and Daunte Culpepper also represented the Vikings in the free-for-all. Culpepper finished the game completing just two of seven, but they covered 57 yards -- a sign of things to come.
The NFC scored 28 points in the fourth quarter behind a four-TD performance from Rams QB Marc Bulger, who shared the MVP award with Peyton Manning -- setting Pro Bowl records for attempts and completions as well as throwing for 342 yards and three TDs.
For those who have dismissed the Pro Bowl as an anti-climax on the heels of the Super Bowl, they may have to take notice.
* Perhaps one of the reasons why NFL fans don't jump on the Pro Bowl bandwagon is that not all the top stars play in the game. This year a record 12 players declined playing in the Pro Bowl, including Randy Moss -- who has never missed a preseason, regular season or postseason game, but has skipped three Pro Bowls.
* The win for the NFC was just the second in eight years.
* The AFC set an all-time Pro Bowl record for points in a half by scoring 31 in the first half Sunday. That mark stood for just one half, as the NFC piled up 42 points in the second half -- including a record 28 points in the fourth quarter alone.
* One of the lighter moments Sunday came following Chavous' fourth-quarter interception as Culpepper and Arrington led a small group of NFC players in an impromptu rendition of the OutKast song "The Way You Move" on the sidelines.
* There were a total of 41 players who made their first Pro Bowl appearance Sunday -- another record.
* The stats may not tell the full story of this insane game. As a team, the NFC completed just 18 of 37 passes for 260 yards and four touchdowns. The AFC completed a Pro Bowl record 30 of 57 passes for 542 yards -- with five TDs and three interceptions.
One For The (Record) Books
Viking Update Top Stories
NFC North Rankings: Tight endsThe crop of tight ends in the NFC North has been formulated under two very different approaches, with varied levels of success.
Viking Update5:29 AM
Rivalries start for divisional defectorsThe Minnesota Vikings signed three free agents this offseason that played for each of their NFC North rivals. So what will it be like for them to play their former teams twice a…
Viking Update4:47 AM
Jones feeling good with position switchDatone Jones is thrilled to be back working at a position that made him a first-round pick out of college, and the Minnesota Vikings believe that is his best position.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:18 AM
Podcast: Mankato memoriesThe Minnesota Vikings will start their 52nd and final training camp in Mankato next week. We reminisce about the memorable Mankato moments and preview this year’s camp.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:35 AM
NFC North Rankings: Wide receiversThe Green Bay Packers have always had the good crew of wide receivers, dating back to the Brett Favre days, and nothing has changed, but the Minnesota Vikings are starting to…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:01 AM