It's far from a Thanksgiving miracle. Corbin Lacina isn't like Cris Carter coming back from a high ankle sprain that many thought would cost him his season a couple of years ago, but it's one of the most promising signs the Vikings have seen in their attempt to salvage the 2001 season.
After all but ruling out Corbin Lacina following Monday's win, Lacina practiced on his injured calf Wednesday and looked so good the Vikings are guardedly optimistic that he will be able to play Sunday night.
The Vikings have been without Lacina and tackle Brad Badger for most of the last three games and it was feared both would be out again this week, so hearing that he could be ready to return ahead of schedule is good news indeed.
THANKSGIVING DAY NOTES
* Injury News II -- The Bears have a couple of key injuries worth watching. The team's star rusher, Anthony Thomas, has a hamstring injury and was listed as questionable. Even if he does play, he won't be at 100 percent and could tweak the injury at any time. Also, offensive tackle Blake Brockermeyer is being hampered by a lingering knee injury and isn't looking forward to playing on the Metrodome turf.
* Injury News III -- The Vikings released their injury report and it includes six players: DOUBTFUL: DL Willie Howard (knee); QUESTIONABLE: DL Winfield Garnett (ankle/knee), OT Brad Badger (turf toe); PROBABLE: TE Byron Chamberlain (knee), LB Kailee Wong (knee), FB Jim Kleinsasser (ankle).
* Gary Anderson has an NFL low eight field goal attempts in nine games this season. He's made seven of eight attempts, but his attempts continue to drop. In 1998, he had 35 field goal attempts, making them all. That dropped to 28 in 1999 and 23 last year. He's on pace to try just 15 this season.
* The Vikings brought in former Giants linebacker Pete Monty for a workout Wednesday, but didn't make an immediate decision on whether to sign him.
* There had been a lot of talk about the Vikings being interested in CB James Hasty before signing Dale Carter. If the interest is still there, Hasty is available. Signed two weeks ago by the Raiders, Hasty quit because of lack of playing time. In last week's game, Hasty saw action on just four plays.
* LB Patrick Chukwurah is likely going to get a lot of time of the defensive line Sunday night, according to coaches that spoke with VU Wednesday. The team likes his aggressiveness and pass rush skills and, at this point, no player's position is safe.
Lacina Practices, Might Play
Viking Update Top Stories
Pass protection fails Bradford, VikingsThe Minnesota Vikings still haven’t been able to solve their offensive line issues, a theme going back to last year, but Mike Zimmer and the players aren’t denying it. They have to…
Viking Update5:23 PM
Notebook: Bradford-Wentz duel fizzlesSunday's game between the Minnesota Vikings and Philadelphia Eagles was supposed to be a marquee battle of quarterbacks Sam Bradford and Carson Wentz. Instead, it was a long day…
Viking Update3:39 PM
Vikings record-seekers vs. EaglesThe Minnesota Vikings’ loss was littered with mistakes, but a few players worked their way up in the franchise record book.
Viking Update3:14 PM
WATCH: Vikings vs. Eagles highlightsHighlights, or really lowlights for Minnesota Vikings fans, as they drop their first game of the season, 21-10, to the Philadelphia Eagles.
Viking Update2:57 PM
Zimmer on Vikings loss: ‘Embarrassing’The Minnesota Vikings’ undefeated season came to an abrupt end in a overwhelming 21-10 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday.
Viking Update2:33 PM