Kenny Mixon has been practicing with the Vikings throughout training camp, but one of the areas of concern during those practices is preparing for the first two games of the regular season against the Cowboys and Eagles.
The Vikings knew that they would be facing those games without Mixon. That became official Wednesday when his cursory appeal of his two-game suspension had been denied and he will have to stay away from the team for the two weeks following the final preseason game.
The suspension came from a DWI conviction earlier this year that resulted in Mixon being sentenced to 30 days in the work farm.
The affirmation of the suspension also means that Mixon with forfeit two game checks -- worth almost $306,000 -- making the workfarm confinement seem tame by comparison.
Mixon can return to practice following the Monday night game at Philadelphia.
* Onterrio Smith has also filed paperwork to appeal his four-game suspension, but only players like Ricky Williams get a walk for a violation of the policy, not second-year guys drafted on the second day like Smith.
* Pro Football Weekly announced its first power rankings for the 32 teams in the NFL and the Vikings were rated seventh. The Patriots and Colts were at the top two spots, followed by NFC rivals Philadelphia and Seattle. The Vikings were next among NFC teams. The Packers were ranked 10th with the Lions (24th) and the Bears (27th) lagging considerably behind.
* There has been an increase of rumors about a potential imminent sale of the Vikings by Red McCombs. McCombs is seeking approval from a rural county in Colorado to build a ski resort community akin to Aspen. It is thought that the money he would make on a sale of the Vikings would be the capital used for the nuts and bolts work of getting the community built -- adding more fuel to the fire that he's looking to get out the NFL.
* The 49ers didn't use all of the tickets allocated to the team, returning about 400 seats. There's no telling how good they are, but if you give the visiting team bogus seats, that has a tendency to come back on you -- like putting the players families in the 700 section of the old Vet.
* Derek Ross began practicing with his new teammates Wednesday and got an endorsement from new Viking Antoine Winfield, who played at Ohio State with Ross.
* With injuries to QBs Tim Rattay and Ken Dorsey, there is a good chance the Vikings will see a lot of Brandon Doman and Cody Pickett. This shouldn't be viewed as good news for the Niners coaches, since the Vikings plan to play their starters the entire first half and most likely a series each in the second half to adjust to the halftime cooldown and a chance to execute the adjustments the coaching staff installs at halftime.
Mixon Loses Suspension Appeal
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings testify of hard-throwing BridgewaterAlthough Teddy Bridgewater isn’t fully back from his knee injury, teammates and coaches like his arm strength.
Viking Update7:47 AM
Vikings defense in good handsNo Zim? No problem for Minnesota Vikings defense while the top dog recuperates.
Viking Update7:01 AM
Vikings nearing halfway point in signingsThe Minnesota Vikings are nearly halfway through signing their draft picks with a handful of contracts completed in 24 hours.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:29 AM
Zimmer: ‘This will not keep me from coaching’Whether he has one good eye or two, Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer plans to return to the team soon.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:39 AM