Over the past week, stories have swirled around the extent of the injury to Daunte Culpepper's left knee, ranging from simply being loose cartilage being repaired to a potential tear of a knee ligament, which would require extensive rehabilitation.
Thursday night, Culpepper underwent surgery. The Vikings made no public comment on the procedure, but VU has been told that early indications are that no ligament tears were found.
It is expected that either the Vikings or the surgeon or both will have a statement today. VU will follow up on this story, but, for first impressions, it sounds like the injury isn't a worst-case scenario.
* Todd Bouman took part in limited practice Thursday, with Spergon Wynn taking most of the snaps and recently signed Romaro Miller getting about 1/3 of the snaps with the first team. Bouman is expected to take most of the practice work today and start Sunday.
* The Vikings aren't the only team Sunday with QB questions. Jacksonville's Mark Brunell saw his first practice action of the week Thursday, but coach Tom Coughlin was optimistic that he will start as well Sunday.
* Mitch Berger underwent surgery Thursday to repair an injured knee. The surgery was said to be a success and was more a cleaning out arthroscopy than a serious knee condition. However, he has already been placed on injured reserve and is lost for the remainder of the season.
* Randy Moss, as reported earlier this week by VU, was in fact fined for taunting in last Sunday's game with Detroit. His fine this time was $10,000, which brings his fine total for the season to $45,000 -- $30,000 from the NFL and $15,000 from the team for conduct with a corporate sponsor following a loss to Philadelphia.
* The Vikings offense still ranks seventh in the league, including third in the passing game, but the defense continues to slide. It has dropped to 28th in the league -- 30th vs. the run and 25th vs. the pass.
* The Vikings defensive line may be licking its chops for Sunday. Brunell has been sacked 16 times in the last two games and, with him immobile with a quadriceps injury, VU has been told to expect a lot of blitzing to put additional pressure on Brunell.
* Brad Badger worked with the first team Thursday and is expected to start Sunday if he doesn't have a relapse of his chronic turf toe injury.
Vikings Mum on Culpepper Surgery
Viking Update Top Stories
Cutler returns, praising Vikings defenseBears QB Jay Cutler is returning to action and expects some rust, but he has immense respect for the Minnesota Vikings defense.
Viking Update2:43 PM
VIDEO: Bradford breaks down offensive issuesWhile Sam Bradford has generally had an impressive start to his time with the Minnesota Vikings, that didn't translate last week. He discusses the offensive struggles against the…
Viking Update2:33 PM
VIDEO: Zimmer blasts report, talks BearsMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer defends his character after an erroneous report that was later corrected went viral, but Zimmer settled in to talk Bears mostly on Thursday.
Viking Update1:39 PM
Vikings look to turn the pageComing off their first loss of the season, the Minnesota Vikings are looking to shake the label of being soft and get back to their winning ways at Soldier Field Monday, a place…
Viking Update12:28 PM