Todd Bouman was hoping to use his chance as a starter the final month of the season to be his springboard for NFL security -- showing the brass what he could do with the first-unit offense.
Instead, he's on hold -- sitting out the early Thursday practice in hopes of healing his aching thumb. Bouman worked out lightly, but Dennis Green said the odds of him playing are about 50-50.
Green said he is in the probable to questionable category, which means he may be forced to sit out another week after being injured on the second offensive play of last week's loss to Jacksonville.
If Bouman can't go, second-year man Spergon Wynn will get his first start as a Viking. Wynn competed well last week despite not throwing the deep ball at all during the game.
Bouman hopes to practice Friday, but a final decision may not be made until Sunday morning.
* While Bouman is being discussed as questionable, he's listed as probable on the injury report. Daunte Culpepper (knee) is listed as out and Ed McDaniel (shoulder) is listed as questionable, although he and Lemanski Hall are both expected to miss Sunday's game. Hall is still listed as probable, along with Bouman, Brad Badger (toe) and Chris Hovan (ankle).
* In the Packers camp, DE John Thierry (knee) is listed as doubtful, KR Allen Rossum (knee) and LB Nate Wayne (back) are listed as questionable, and DT Gilbert Brown (toe) and DE Jamal Reynolds (knee) are listed as probable.
* As reported earlier in VU, Green has conceded that Culpepper won't play again this season, although he hasn't been placed on injured reserve yet.
* There is a good chance for snow Sunday in Green Bay with temperatures in the mid-teens -- perfect Packers weather and horrible Vikings weather.
* The Bears may be looking to beef up their offense next season. VU has been told by a Bears insider that the team is looking over the 10-year contract signed by Drew Bledsoe last year and may be willing to make a trade to get him. The Patriots think they have their man of the future in Tom Brady and would be more than happy to off-load Bledsoe's $103 million contract -- giving them cap relief and the Bears a frontline QB they have been lacking the past several seasons.
Bouman Iffy For Sunday
Viking Update Top Stories
Rhodes leads Vikings D-backs record settersXavier Rhodes set or tied five Minnesota Vikings records in 2016 and three other defensive backs made their mark in the franchise record books.
Viking Update9:44 AM
Sunday slant: Stars have blind spotsThe last week of interviews with Minnesota Vikings past and present shows that sometimes the elite athletes have blind spots that keep them from achieving whatever their top-end…
Viking Update5:30 AM
Vikings get inside intel at the ShrineThe Vikings took advantage of a new business opportunity in the East-West Shrine Game and the potential benefit could pay off some sweet dividends.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 11:51 PM
Four D-linemen, Kendricks set Vikings recordsDanielle Hunter and three other defensive linemen set records for the Minnesota Vikings in 2016, as did linebacker Eric Kendricks. We detail the franchise records they set or tied.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:29 AM
Paton a frontrunner for 49ers G.M. openingThe San Francisco 49ers are looking for their fourth head coach in four years and the hope is that Kyle Shanahan and Vikings Assistant General Manager George Paton can be the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:58 AM