Todd Bouman was hoping to use his chance as a starter the final month of the season to be his springboard for NFL security -- showing the brass what he could do with the first-unit offense.
Instead, he's on hold -- sitting out the early Thursday practice in hopes of healing his aching thumb. Bouman worked out lightly, but Dennis Green said the odds of him playing are about 50-50.
Green said he is in the probable to questionable category, which means he may be forced to sit out another week after being injured on the second offensive play of last week's loss to Jacksonville.
If Bouman can't go, second-year man Spergon Wynn will get his first start as a Viking. Wynn competed well last week despite not throwing the deep ball at all during the game.
Bouman hopes to practice Friday, but a final decision may not be made until Sunday morning.
* While Bouman is being discussed as questionable, he's listed as probable on the injury report. Daunte Culpepper (knee) is listed as out and Ed McDaniel (shoulder) is listed as questionable, although he and Lemanski Hall are both expected to miss Sunday's game. Hall is still listed as probable, along with Bouman, Brad Badger (toe) and Chris Hovan (ankle).
* In the Packers camp, DE John Thierry (knee) is listed as doubtful, KR Allen Rossum (knee) and LB Nate Wayne (back) are listed as questionable, and DT Gilbert Brown (toe) and DE Jamal Reynolds (knee) are listed as probable.
* As reported earlier in VU, Green has conceded that Culpepper won't play again this season, although he hasn't been placed on injured reserve yet.
* There is a good chance for snow Sunday in Green Bay with temperatures in the mid-teens -- perfect Packers weather and horrible Vikings weather.
* The Bears may be looking to beef up their offense next season. VU has been told by a Bears insider that the team is looking over the 10-year contract signed by Drew Bledsoe last year and may be willing to make a trade to get him. The Patriots think they have their man of the future in Tom Brady and would be more than happy to off-load Bledsoe's $103 million contract -- giving them cap relief and the Bears a frontline QB they have been lacking the past several seasons.
Bouman Iffy For Sunday
Viking Update Top Stories
Thielen seeks respect, hopes to stayReceiver Adam Thielen has seen an increased role in each of his four years with the Minnesota Vikings and would like to see that continue well into the future. He discussed the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 1:54 PM
Johnson: Bridgewater ‘coming along well’Receiver Charles Johnson has talked with Minnesota Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater and says he is “coming along well” in his rehab, along with offering a few other insights.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:36 AM
Scott Turner signs with MichiganMichigan head coach Jim Harbaugh has ruffled feathers since arriving in Ann Arbor. His hiring of Scott Turner may be the latest preemptive move.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 4:06 AM
Combine Research: Receivers (Part 1)Who showed he was recovered from a broken leg with a four-touchdown game? Which teammates were born in Liberia and Sierre Leone? Who set the NCAA yardage record? Those answers and…
Packer ReportMonday at 8:16 PM
Shurmur has his focal point for offenseMinnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur his “focal point” for where the offense needs to improve in 2017.
Viking UpdateMonday at 2:38 PM