Yesterday following practice, VU got the word that Denny Green was leaning toward starting Spergon Wynn and may have gone as far as to tell him he would be starting -- much like he did with Todd Bouman before the Tennessee game.
Unlike Bouman's start, Green announced Friday that Wynn will get the start at Green Bay with Bouman slated as the No. 2 QB.
The start will be the first official start for Wynn as a Viking and mark the third different starter in a month for the Vikings.
* Randy Moss is closing in on history. With 86 yards in the final two games, he will be the first wide receiver in history to post four straight 1,300-yard seasons. He is currently tied with three other streaks of three years -- two held by Jerry Rice (1988-90 and 1993-95) and Michael Irvin (1993-95). Considering that Moss tied the record in his first three seasons is remarkable, but there is no reason to believe he can't add to it in future years.
* Cris Carter needs 200 yards in the final two games for his ninth straight 1,000-yard season.
* The Packers have injury problems of their own. VU has been told DE John Thierry, DT Gilbert Brown and KR Allen Rossum won't play and there's a good chance LB Nate Wayne won't play either.
* In the last two games, the Packers have allowed a pair of pedestrian rushers to go well over 100 yards -- Tennessee's Skip Hicks (142 yards) and Cleveland's Jamel White (131 yards).
* Green Bay is an 11-point favorite Sunday, the biggest point spread deficit the Vikings have faced in six years.
* If you haven't heard, Brett Favre is 28-0 at home in his career with a game-time temperature under 34 degrees. It's going to be well under that Sunday.
* If the Packers win Sunday, the all-time series record between Minnesota and Green Bay will be a tie -- each team with a 40-40-1 record.
Wynn Named Starter
Viking Update Top Stories
Sizing up the competitionThe Vikings will face some difficult challenges in 2017. These are the strengths and weaknesses that their opponents will bring to the table.
Viking Update5:29 AM
Sunday slant: Breakout Vikings for defenseThis week’s draft will help shape the roster, but no matter who is added to the mix, some veteran players on the roster right now have every chance to earn a significant (maybe…
Viking Update5:15 AM
Vikings visitor analysis: The versatile TEThe Minnesota Vikings are in search of a tight end to add depth and they visited with one that was very impressive at the NFL Scouting Combine and showed versatility in college.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:13 AM
Most feared player for each Vikings opponentWith the Minnesota Vikings’ schedule out, we break down the key player for each opponent that will be key to each game plan.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:43 AM