Yesterday following practice, VU got the word that Denny Green was leaning toward starting Spergon Wynn and may have gone as far as to tell him he would be starting -- much like he did with Todd Bouman before the Tennessee game.
Unlike Bouman's start, Green announced Friday that Wynn will get the start at Green Bay with Bouman slated as the No. 2 QB.
The start will be the first official start for Wynn as a Viking and mark the third different starter in a month for the Vikings.
* Randy Moss is closing in on history. With 86 yards in the final two games, he will be the first wide receiver in history to post four straight 1,300-yard seasons. He is currently tied with three other streaks of three years -- two held by Jerry Rice (1988-90 and 1993-95) and Michael Irvin (1993-95). Considering that Moss tied the record in his first three seasons is remarkable, but there is no reason to believe he can't add to it in future years.
* Cris Carter needs 200 yards in the final two games for his ninth straight 1,000-yard season.
* The Packers have injury problems of their own. VU has been told DE John Thierry, DT Gilbert Brown and KR Allen Rossum won't play and there's a good chance LB Nate Wayne won't play either.
* In the last two games, the Packers have allowed a pair of pedestrian rushers to go well over 100 yards -- Tennessee's Skip Hicks (142 yards) and Cleveland's Jamel White (131 yards).
* Green Bay is an 11-point favorite Sunday, the biggest point spread deficit the Vikings have faced in six years.
* If you haven't heard, Brett Favre is 28-0 at home in his career with a game-time temperature under 34 degrees. It's going to be well under that Sunday.
* If the Packers win Sunday, the all-time series record between Minnesota and Green Bay will be a tie -- each team with a 40-40-1 record.
Wynn Named Starter
Viking Update Top Stories
First half is doom and gloom for JaguarsThe Jacksonville Jaguars are too good to be 2-10, but, despite a talented roster, early struggles have been their undoing all season.
Viking Update8:38 AM
Preview: Jags loaded with talent, turnoversThe Jacksonville Jaguars should be better than their record indicates, but turnovers have been the Jaguars’ undoing.
Viking Update7:59 AM
Podcast: The odds on A.P., playoffsWill Adrian Peterson make it back and should he, and what are the odds the Minnesota Vikings make the playoffs?
Viking Update7:01 AM
Forbath hoping to find permanent homeVikings kicker Kai Forbath arrived in Minnesota under bad circumstances. He's looking to quit moving from town to town and make Minnesota his permanent home.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:19 PM